Should we add phosphorous for calcium absorption?

Huneypie
on 6/21/14 12:42 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I stumbled across this review on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weleda-Phos...s/B0013G8GQU/ref=dpx_a cr_txt?showViewpoints=1 which looks well written, but can't find anything in my Googling to back it up. Most articles say that 'normal' people don't need additional phosphorous, but then DSers aren't exactly 'normal' and curious to know if it'd help.

TIA.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

MajorMom
on 6/21/14 7:42 pm - VA

It is one of those lab levels to keep an eye on as it plays with calcium absorption and bone density, among a few other things. Since we eat so much meat and dairy we "shouldn't" have issues since that's where we "should" be getting phosphates. I read up on it a bit here http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/phosphorus/ tab/sample

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Huneypie
on 6/21/14 10:15 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Interesting read, thanks.  It'd suck to have to fast to get that test done though.  Mr Patel is at the wrong end of London :-S

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

PeteA
on 6/22/14 2:21 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

That was interesting information. Based on what Gina's link says this might be a good addition to
labs for the people working to reverse bone loss. I understand based on our diet it shouldn't be
much of an issue but I wonder about the interaction with Calcium, PTH, and D mentioned in the
article.  

It wouldn't be the first time an imbalance in one area caused an imbalance in another but that is just a
leap - not really suggested by the author.

Huneypie
on 6/22/14 6:26 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

All the stuff I found written is for normies.  It's like the time I had angular chelitis (cracks in the corner of the mouth) which were due to a B vit deficiency (biotin in my case as it was the only B vit I wasn't taking and it fixed the issue I'd had for several weeks in just a day or 2).  Anyway, my point there is that normies aren't supposed suffer B vit deficiencies (or that's what the consensus is).  My dental hygienist told me that only alcoholics get angular chelitis as they drink instead of eat... I'm a teetotaler not an alcoholic!!

I  my DS  

PeteA
on 6/22/14 12:16 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

That might have made me take up drinking. I'm pretty much a teatotaler too. 
Maybe a glass of wine at holidays. :)

It's hard to ever figure out when you can extrapolate from "normie" discussions to the DS world.
It's always just a best guess until you get some proof via labs. I guess too few DS patients to make
studies very worthwhile for anybody.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 307 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 773 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 257 views