Gas!!!

elaynemu
on 1/3/15 11:59 pm

Had surgery on 12/16 but due to complications, just got out of hospital on 12/30. Been doing good until a couple of days ago.  I am still on Stage 2 (pureed foods).  I now am starting to get a ton of trapped gas.  I have never had a problem with gas before and am totally surprised at how painful it can be.  Anybody have any special tips that they use to get rid of it.  I am taking GasX which the doctor told me to do but doesn't seem to help that much.

Gwen M.
on 1/4/15 1:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Walking as much as possible should help.  For some people, heating pads also help.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Shawnern
on 1/4/15 1:38 am - Rochester, MN

I Walked a lot and laid on my belly ang that seemed to help. I also cut out straight milk and cottage cheese and that kept me from getting gas  in the first place. I also have my patients take warm showers and that works for some folks. Good luck

Shawn

elaynemu
on 1/4/15 2:29 am

Thanks, I will try those things.  Is it common for the gas to come up more often than go down?  I hardly ever pass gas but I am belching constantly.

JazzyOne9254
on 1/4/15 2:36 pm, edited 1/4/15 2:38 pm

With regard to the difficulty with milk products - My surgeon said that many people become lactose intolerant immediately post-op, - but - if you were not as a pre-op, it will go away.  If you were as a pre-op, it will become worse.  I'll bear witness to that for the first couple of years, but the only milk products that bother me now are ice cream, 2%, 1% and fat-free (skim) milk.  If you look at the Nutrition Facts box on the carton, as the fat content decreases for each product, the sugar content increases.  I cannot tolerate anything but full-fat Vitamin D whole milk, heavy cream, full-fat cottage cheese, sour cream and once in a while, I find a premium ice cream that won't get the gas factory cranked up!

It's probable all the sucrose and lactose together that sends me to Gas City! 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Sunshine16
on 1/5/15 12:17 am

Try taking a gas X first thing in the morning, drink your 68 ounces of water or more to get the gas out of your intestines, and try to find the culprit to what is causing the gas.   Potato chips, soda and extremely high sugar, and certain sugar causes me gas.

Find the culprit....

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Huneypie
on 1/5/15 1:50 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

A good probiotic can help too.  You want one with ~30 billion Colony Forming Units (CFUs) or more if poss.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 774 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1061 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 351 views