Starting at Zero

Dx E
on 8/11/06 6:57 am - Northern, MS

An Exercise Forum can be intimidating For those who feel they are starting out at Zero! But don’t let all of the Gym-Rats and Marathon Runners Be intimidating. If they are here, it’s because they too were once Exactly where you are. Yes? Starting at Zero is in fact a bonus. Some start at "Less Than Zero." You Can Start Slower Than you Can Imagine! The following is a bit of an account of my early Exercise (Moving from total Atrophy) and how it advanced. It’s "Re-Post Crap" but it sure saves typing time! Maybe some info in here will be of hel*****t. Easy Starters, Accountability, Trainer, Music, etc… Take what you want an ignore the rest--- Just "What worked for me……" ---------------------------------------------------------- Because I had such a rough start (profile) A lot of my "exercise" started as Physical Therapy To restore enough muscle and balance so that I could walk and such. My 1st few months, I was unable to even stand up So I had a good bit of muscle atrophy. Early exercise was sitting in a recliner and lifting One leg at a time. Later a 2.5lb ankle weight was added. I’d lift just bending from the knee and straightening my leg. And another "exercise" was laying back in the recliner And keeping my leg straight, and lifting it only bending at the hip. The third, was sitting upright, and just lifting the foot Straight up from the floor, as if pulling it out of the mud. Once I was "up," we added "standing exercises." I would stand with a walker, and lift one leg behind me Bending only at the knee, As well as slowly "kicking back" bending only at the hip. These built from 10 each, alternating legs, To 30 each over a course of 2 weeks. Later an ankle weight was added as well. There were also the "Step Exercises." I would stand at the bottom of my stairs and take a step up With the right leg and then back down, leading with the right leg. 10 of these on each leg, alternating, until I was able to do 30 For each leg. My Physical Therapist told me That these "steps" would be beneficial long after I was Up and going, just to keep adding more repetitions, and to do this "Routine" until exhaustion every other day. (I still do "Step Exercises" going up and down the bottom 2 steps of my stairs.) (It’s awfully cheap exercise equipment!) It is important to leave a day between "workouts" To let that muscle group re-build. So, I worked legs/back one day And upper body/arms the next, alternating so that I got maximum Growth out of the muscles. For my back, the Physical Therapist started me doing "Ball-Squats." Those big (2 ½ foot diameter) balls at the gym? Go to a clear wall, stand about 2 to 3 feet out from the wall, facing away From the wall and put the Ball in the small of your back and Lean back on it. Not too far out from the wall, just enough so that The Ball is holding about half of your weight. Keeping the torso straight up or "Parallel to the wall," Then bending at the knees, squat just a little, letting your back Roll the Ball down the wall behind you. Don’t squat too deep, Just about 1 to 2 feet, then back up. These should be slow movements Rather than a bounce up and down. I started doing 10 of these and worked up to 30, then break and do A different exercise, the go back and do another 30, and break, And so on until I was doing 5 sets of 30. Great for building butt muscle, thighs, and lower back. These helped me transition from needing a walker To standing on my own, fairly quickly. I had NO abdominal muscles to help hold me aright So I had to rely on my back and sides to provide stability. By staying with this exercise and building the numbers over time- As a result – NO loose thigh or butt skin! I recommend the "Ball Squat" Big Time. I used to Joke with my Physical Therapist, who came 4 days a week- "I just want to be able to Walk, I’m not looking to have Jane Fonda’s Butt Here!"

Oh, and those Balls at the Gym cost a ridiculous amount, but

I got one of those big balls from the toy section at Wal-Mart,

You know that big bin with the 2 foot diameter "bouncy balls?"

It works just fine and they sell for $1.89. Also once I was "up" and going, I started walking. At first, 1 mile every other day, then 1 ½, 2, and so on, Adding a quarter to a half a mile every 3 days or so. Every little bit helps. What worked for me was starting with a very short distance And slowly increasing each week. 3 miles, every other day is Great. Some days I do as much as 5. The trick is to just "Steady on Walk." Don’t saunter or stroll. Walk like you’re going somewhere. You don’t have to do all that "Power-Walk" nonsense that I see So many out doing in the park. Maybe it’s just a "guy thing," but to me, That looks so goofy. -Their little fists Up in front pumping from side to side. If I had to do that, in order To make the walking worthwhile, I’m sure I would have just skipped it all together. It works for some, Surely, because otherwise, Why in the world would they do it? I just managed without. Around 18 months out, I started adding a little quarter of a mile jog Into the middle of my walks. This increased about 50 yards Each week. By year 3? I ran in a 5K race and finished in the middle of the pack. (I never believed that I could have/would have, when I first started exercising!) Music on a Walkman or MP3 Player Helps immensely! I did add 5lb ankle weights, those little strap on jobs, after a while And those help make the walking far more productive. With walking, early on when I was still carrying an extra 150 or so lbs On me, the walking was also Cardio. I was sweating and out of breath each time, my heart just pounding. Now-a-days it’s just more of a brisk walk and I feel my legs Starting to get a workout, but I’m not tired by it. Walking (and eventual running)– same as other exercise, leave a day between for your Muscles to repair and grow back. I guess it was around 9 months out when I started Working my upper body and arms. I started with "Exer-Bands," these rubber tubes with handles And a little strap that closes in a door to secure the middle Leaving two bands with handles to work with. Those were great for shoulders and upper back, and I think You can buy a set at most places. Even "Wally-World" has them. Along with those I got some 5 and 10lb dumb bells, At the suggestion of my Physical Therapist, and did high numbers Or repetitions (50 or more) of "curls," "overhead pushes," "Reverse curls" and such. The goal was to do these repetitions To the point of shaky exhaustion. When you truly "Can’t do One More." I found that having some major pumping music blaring when I did these Allowed me to do more. So I tend to work out with these little weights When I’m home alone. Loud pumping beat that I can keep in time with. One exercise with the little weights I do helped my chest and shoulders a lot. And I got it from my PT. Flat on my back on the floor, arms out straight on either side like "Jesus on the Cross," and then, 1- bending just at the elbow, bring the weights up and over to my shoulders, without moving my upper arms at all. Then back down. 2- bring the full extended arms up till the weights meet straight above my chest, arms straight and fully extended, the back out/down to floor. The whole thing is 1,2,1,2,1,2, etc….. for about 50 repetitions, Then break and do something else, then come back for 50 more, etc… I do about 3 sets of 50 of these. Result? No saggy skin where my man-boobs (Moobs) used to be And No Loose Skin in my arm pits. MOTIVATION? I think the major reason I’ve lost all of my weight, past goal, Is due to my horrible start. If I just had to "exercise because it’s good for you," I don’t know That I would have been motivated to do so. But having that- "exercise, so you can get ‘well enough’ To walk through your house with out shaking Like a ‘Chihuahua passing a Peach Pit in a Thunderstorm," Was a very strong motivating factor. By having a Physical Therapist at my home 4 days a week, And then later going there 3 days a week for the first year Was super helpful. It’s easy to get in your exercise when a 6’5" muscle man Therapist is Saying- "Great, Now 30 more of these…" Perhaps it’s a Male Ego thing again, but- "Not wanting to look like a Major Wuss," Helps push you on to do more than you would do on your own. For some of my female friends, they claim that Having a person somewhere planning on meeting them Helps provide motivation. They could easily skip a "Date with Themselves," But never "Miss an Appointment!" Because everyone can’t have the "Luxury" of a near death experience With a 3 and a half week stay in ICU And 4 to 5 subsequent weeks in the hospital after To get started losing their weight, I suggest, getting a gym membership, a Trainer, etc… Some system of accountability in place To make sure you do your exercise. Maybe look into having your Doc, write a Prescription for Physical Therapy? Worth a shot! A "Workout Buddy" or "Exercise Partner?" This could just be your Spouse. Mine walks with me 2 days a week Most of the time, and it gives us catch-up time to talk without Anything pressing or with out our son in the middle of the talk. Some of the Gals in my Support Group, meet up twice a week. One last exercise trick, then I’ll wrap-up this novel. Because I’ve had so many trips into the hospital, This is something I found that helps relieve stress and build forearms and grip. Back when I quit smoking prior to my Open Heart surgery, Someone gave me a "stress ball." It’s a little squishy rubber ball That you squeeze in your hand. It exercises your forearm muscles And grip and by working those muscles, releasing endorphins, It relieves stress. I took this little guy with me into the hospital each time. It’s one of those things you can do without thinking and it’s constantly Working muscle. Small scale, but some. I found it very helpful between morphine doses to relax me. Sort of like a smoker chewing gum. Yes? And, I’ve ended up keeping some good definition In my fore-arms along the way. Speaking of chewing gum, I’ve also kept a couple of pieces of sugar-free gum Pumping away in my mouth for the last 3 years. Started from quitting smoking but later just habit. Someone told me that working your jaws this way would help Keep from having loose "Turkey Waddle Neck" as the double chin Went away. I don’t know if that was what did it, but my neck Drew up fairly well. I don’t look like I’ve lost a lot of weight- (So say many others) I just look my age. (I know some will shout- "We can’t Chew Gum! What if we swallow it?!?!?" I say, chew Gum! But Don’t Swallow it!! Also, having a mouth full of Wintergreen or peppermint, sure takes the joy out of a Bar-B-Qued Potato Chip!) Maybe if you let the goal of not having a choir robe of loose skin Hang off of you when this is all done, may be motivation enough To get out there and workout. I just had other priorities early on and I’m thankful that they Motivated me to add more and more exercise. Because my Abdominal muscles were "missing in action" for The first year and a half, I wasn’t able to do real-lifting or sit-ups And such, but that doesn’t keep exercise out of the picture. I credit the exercise with my success. Like others say, "Once you are able and cleared by your Doc," Some heavier weight training will do more than Hang on to the muscle you have and keep it toned, You’ll actually be able to add a good bit. You can Start Slower Than you Can Imagine, And Excel Beyond Your Dreams! Sorry to babble on so- Just sharing What Worked For Me! Best Wishes- Dx

Mr Buddha
on 8/11/06 8:46 pm - florence, KY
Dx e I think you might have just broke the record for post size. But I enjoyed reading all of it. Your post is very informative.
Dx E
on 8/12/06 12:41 am - Northern, MS

Hey Buddha!

This is short for me!:lol:

It’s a re-post from the ‘Men’s Board."

I’m hoping this new Exercise Board Takes off!

I’ve already gathered some great info here.

See Ya ‘round the Boards!

Best Wishes-

Dx

Scott William
on 8/12/06 1:11 am
"Dx e I think you might have just broke the record for post size." Oh no!  Stop by the men's board and you will see that this is average for him. Take care Scott
Scott William
on 8/12/06 1:15 am
You are right.  I would put myself in the gym rat and marathon runner category now, but you knew me 8 months ago when I started on the treadmill at 3 miles per hour for about 5 minutes and that was all I could muster.   Anyone can do it.  Perhaps not run marathons but certainly improve their physical conditioning.  Thanks Dx Scott
Frances S.
on 8/13/06 4:29 pm - Zachary, LA
 Hiya DxE, We are starting a tennis league for liked minds and novice players. I want to hit "40" doing things I never imagined. Just wish I could borrow a set of 20-year-old muscles. Onward! Yo bud Frances

A Banded Brain! (read blog)
"Banded for life, switched for good, bypassed by none" (revised, work in progress)

Most Active