Nutrition Tips for New Athletes

MacMadame
on 3/30/11 6:56 am - Northern, CA
Thought people might enjoy this article as nutrition is always a hot topic on the forum:

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/5-Nutrition-Tips-for-New-Athletes.htm?lyrisid=21627531&memberid=107646612

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Kenwillmore
on 3/30/11 11:11 am
Not sure if I am considered an athlete but I do enjoy working out regularly.  I will participate in my first 10K Peachtree Road Race in July.  Thanks for the info

HW: 258 SW: 248 GW: 150  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/
katinhouston
on 3/31/11 8:48 am - Houston, TX
 Thanks for the article Macmadame.

I am really confused right now, though.  Maybe you can help me out.  I am still losing weight- I have about 40 to 50 lbs. left to lose.  I started walking way back last August and did that for a few months but then I got bored so I started a C25K in late October.  I have walked/run since then with breaks for a couple of weeks over christmas and then again at the end of January due to a surgery.  I am back walking/running again (I do 3 miles approx 4-5/week, run about 3/4 or a little more of that) but am so confused on what and how much I need to be eating.
Since I am still trying to lose I feel like I should be sticking to my protein/low carb plan. But with only eating a few ounces of protein at a time 3 to 4 times a day, sometimes it doesn't seem like enough fuel for the exercise. I sometimes get light-headed throughout the day (not too bad) and feel pretty exhausted at night.  And even with doing that much exercise, I am losing extremely slowly if at all and feel like maybe I am not eating enough?  
I generally have between 700-950 calories/day, about 20-30 carbs, 60-80 grams of protein.  I have been trying to add back in a protein shake for extra protein when I think of it.  I don't really get hungry, so it feels like I am always trying to add food.
On one hand I feel like I should be sticking to my "weight-loss/surgery" rules and do protein first, lo carb, but on the other hand everything that I read about running says that our bodies need carbohydrates for fuel.  UGH!
Maybe that's why I'm not losing very much-my body is holding on to what it can?

I'm not sure if this issue has been addressed repeatedly. I usually stick to the VSG forum, but started looking around a bit for information/knowledge!  I only looked back 5-6 days in post also.

I might also try posting this as its own thread to see what people think.

Thanks for any information or insight!

Most Active