more questions - weight training

Carrie W.
on 5/18/11 3:30 am - KY
I'm walking for 60 minutes a day and I know I need to start some weight training.  I don't have much at home to use so ....  My dad goes to the gym 3 days a week.  Since I'm unemployed I can go with him when he goes in the afternoon.  It's not too expensive either.  And of course, hopefully in the middle of the day there'll be more older people, lol.  I'm still 300lbs and very self conscious.  I'd love to use the pool but I'm so not that brave yet.

The exercise lady at my clinic is hard to get in touch with and you guys are so helpful ...

What should I work on?  I need sort of a routine I think.  Can you tell I'm completely clueless?  My one previous gym attempt ended when I pinched a nerve in my back.  Definitely don't want to go there again.  My dad has back trouble so I know he can keep me from doing something that would hurt my back again. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks!!
Jillian O.
on 5/18/11 3:47 am - Fort Riley, KS
For right now, instead of the free weights at the gym, use the machines. Most of them force your body to lift the proper way when using them. Make sure you read the instructions on the machine before using them.

Most gyms also have charts on the wall for lifting free weights properly. Glance at them to see which exercises you might want to try later when you get some more confidence.

Nate, who posts here, can chime in with better info, he is the lifting expert around here.

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/11 4:38 am - TX
I am 11 weeks out and started back lifting weights about a month or so ago, maybe 5 weeks. I use the machines at the gym and choose one area a day to work. I have increased the weight on the machines from 10 lbs at week one to 50 plus on some of them now. I hope to do this for about 90 days total then move on to the free weights.

I also do the pullup machine and the thigh machines (inner and outer) everyday in addition to whatever body part I am working, plus at least a mile trying to run on the treadmill.
nate2009
on 5/18/11 5:18 am - Lebanon, OH
To start out I would do an upper body day followed by a lower body day. A day off and then repeat. I would start with machines for a while and then move into free weights. Start slow and work your way up. after a few weeks of light weights to get in good form then ramp it up until you really push yourself. As a woman you have no reason to fear "bulking up" by going heavy , you don't have the proper "equipment" to get huge but the more muscle you build the better you will feel and look ...... you'll also be able to eat more as your metabolism will increase when you add lean mass ....... Never do cadio first as it will take away from your lifting. And use your lifting session as an excuse to get a few more carbs in diet.A protein shake and some simple carbs post workout help to gain some muscle mass. Work your legs hard as they are the biggest muscles in your body ! I also don't think you need to be self concious in the weightroom. If your gym is like mine the morning and afternoon crowd are usually good people willing to help anyone out that needs it. The evening crowd is a different story though !

Good luck and if you have any specific questions ask away.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
Earl C.
on 5/18/11 12:56 pm - Circleville, OH
Good answer.

I was jus****ching a couple of women in my gym at work today. First thing I noticed was they weren't using enough weight on anything and going through the motions and not training hard enough to get any benefits from it. It's the biggest mistake most women make regarding weight training. It's just too hard to build even a little bit of muscle to worry about getting too big...really.
Kim S.
on 5/18/11 11:00 pm - Helena, AL
You are so right.  I can't believe how some women freak out and think they will get bulky....they don't realize that the bulky women are likely that way because of steroid use.

I keep upping my weight and prefer more weight and less reps....and it works! 

fatfreemama
on 5/18/11 4:25 pm - San Jose, CA
 Hey Nate,
Why not do cardio before lifting?  I like to do 4-7 miles on my elliptical then do my weight training.  I don't seem to have a problem doing the weights.  Is this the wrong way to do things.  I don't think I'm doing enough if I just do the weights.  Should I do weights first and then elliptical?

Thanks.
Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

nate2009
on 5/18/11 9:51 pm - Lebanon, OH
Do weights first while you have the most strength and energy. End your workout with cardio when you are already tired. This will help you lift heavier and build a little more muscle.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
Carrie W.
on 5/19/11 1:51 am - KY
Thanks, Nate!  I can't wait to get started!  The walking has already really increased the strength in my legs.  I have a horse and finally rode for the first time after surgery yesterday.  It was amazing the difference 40lbs and walking have done for my ability to get on the horse!   I nearly launched myself over!

Thanks again. 
Carrie W.
on 5/19/11 1:49 am - KY
THANKS everybody!!

I know I'm asking stupid questions.  I felt prepared for the food/nutrition/vitamin part of things but I'm at a loss as far as exercise goes.

I am NOT worried about bulking up.  If it happens, great!  I'd rather be strong than slender.  I'm not sure "slender" is in my genes anyway .... 

Thanks again!
Most Active