Uh-Oh!!! My sister talked me into going to a Pilates class tonight!!

Kristi D.
on 7/18/11 3:19 am - Buffalo, NY
I don't know why I said yes.  I have never done pilates before.  I am not very flexible and still nearly 200 lbs.  Have a made a huge mistake?  I am really nervous that I am going to look ridiculous.  Is pilates even a good form of excercise?  I usually do cardio (treadmill/elliptical/zumba), but have been slacking on my resistance training.  Actually, the last few weeks I have been slacking on excercise all together.  Should I cancel on her?  I don't know if I'll be able to do it. 

Kristi

HW:276   SW:255   CW:201  LW:165  GW:140

mcarthur01
on 7/18/11 4:07 am - Cumming, GA
definitely try it out.  if you hate it, worst case scenario is you've had a new experience that you didn't like.  what's great about this journey is stepping out of your comfort zone and finding all sorts of new things that you can do that you didn't think you could before.  as with anything new, ease your way into it and try it out.  best of luck!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Paul C.
on 7/18/11 4:38 am - Cumming, GA
I 100% agree with Bill.  Don't be afraid to try something, being afraid to try things is what our previous lives were about.  Now our focus should be doing everything we thought we couldn't.  I have had a number of fears when it comes to exercise.  I made someone a deal that I would try Spin Class, because I had heard how brutual they could be. Well I lived up to my deal and went and totally loved it!  so much so that I miss my spin class as it conflicts with my Physical Therapy.  I feared getting in the pool to actually swim, not just play but swim for distance.  Same dude told me to suck it up and log some time in the pool and next thing I knew I was making real progress.

Give it a shot at worst is you don't like it and won't go back.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
JsSkinnyMom
on 7/18/11 5:51 am - Youngsville, LA
I vote no!  Don't cancel.  You never know what you might love if you don't give it a try.  I've tried all the group classes at my gym.  Some I hated, some I loved, and some I just kinda like.  I try to stick with the ones I love most of the time (Zumba and Body Combat) and use the ones that I kinda like (RPM and Body Pump) as backups if I can't make the others.  Prob won't go back to Body Flow or Body Step if I can help it.  Either way, at least I know now what I like so I can make the most of my gym membership.  I couldn't do all of the workout for any of the classes but there are lots of people who couldn't.  I think you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at how well you'll fit in.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
 J's Skinny Mom  

HW 238 / SW 235 / CW 120  
MacMadame
on 7/18/11 7:26 am - Northern, CA
Pilates is an AWESOME workout. 

If the teacher is good, they'll explain how to modify each exercise to make it both harder and easier. You'll see people doing it all 3 ways, too.

Just do what you can and don't sweat it if you can't do every single thing the first time. It's not expected. The idea is to get better and that won't happen if you are perfect the first time out. 

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Kristi D.
on 7/18/11 8:01 am - Buffalo, NY
Ok.  Thanks all.  I will not cancel.  I will go give it a try.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Wish me luck.....  :)

Kristi

Kristi D.
on 7/18/11 11:19 am - Buffalo, NY
Wow.  What a great class!!!!  I loved it.  I am so glad I tried it.  Thanks for the great motivation.  My whole body feels like jello right now and I will definately be sore tomorrow, but I really pushed myself and I was able to keep up for most of the class.  And to top it off, I feel great right now.  I can't believe I haven't been to the gym in 3 weeks.  I forgot how great I feel after a good workout.

Kristi

Most Active