Strained my GLUTE muscle!?

Sam LifeNerd
on 4/16/12 2:38 am
 Ok, I am trying not to laugh either, yeah I strained my left butt/hip muscle!!  

Friday, Day 2 of the C25K program, I felt it start hurting early in the run, and slowed a bit, and then tried to stretch it a bit, etc.  I finished the program that day (another 5 runs or so of 60 seconds) and was limping the rest of the day.

It has gotten slightly better, I tried to stretch it out last night, laying on back, leg in air and rotate towards the ground to my right and WOWSERS that is how to make it hurt!

SO... it was still hurting this morning, and I am going to skip todays run!?

I am assuming the best way to heal it at this point is to rest it ?  Should I give it just another day or two... a week?  (Hurt it Friday, so already has been 3 days today...)

Should I walk, or is that going to aggravate it too?  ( I am guessing it would based on getting up and just moving I can feel it)

Thoughts, and suggestions are welcomed!!

SueBee01
on 4/16/12 8:27 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
Good luck with it. I pulled mine two years ago playing tennis and I never know when it is going to hurt. Sometimes I just turn one direction to walk and I feel it! I have started strength training in the pool for two months now and notice a big difference. The physical therapist showed me some stretches that I could not do because of my weight so it took quite some time to figure it out. Believe it or not, walking backwards on the treadmill slowly. I hope it does not become troublesome for you.
 Sue

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/12 1:35 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Good luck bro!!! I strained mine AFTER a triathlon ... walked up a slight incline to get some orange slices and a banana and felt it like cramp up .... then it was sore for a week!!! Drink plenty of water!!! 
Paul C.
on 4/17/12 3:26 am - Cumming, GA
 So first is to realy identify what type of pain it is.

Is it an OH CRAP THIS HURTS pain?

Or

Is it an "Damn I haven't used this muscle in years pain"

The OH CRAP means something isn't right and yes you should rest and let it heal.  Maybe see the doc.  The second just takes some stretching and time.  Your body isn't used to doing the things you are demanding of it and you will experiences soreness and some pains, but know which says you are hurt and which says ok I'm not used to this will become critical in helping you push forward.

Ignoring something can have huge results. Last pain I ignored and pushed through cost me like 3 months of training and 2 races.  I said I had a cramp and convinced myself it wasn't, it turned out to be a badly strained and partially torn Hamstring.  A pain I should have stopped for.

Most of our injuries from running can be traced back to poor or insufficient stretching.  Something I know I am guilty of.  I put so much time into my runs that I don't have enough for good stretching before or after, yeah working on that one.

My go to for soreness is my foam roller and a good ice pack.  If you don't have a foam roller ya might look into getting one as you will probably get real close to it as you work towards your goals.  Ice has become a crucial recovery item for me.  I keep homemade icepacks in the freezer and after a long run will break them out for a couple hours.

When in doubt rest up and see your doc.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Sam LifeNerd
on 4/17/12 3:46 am
 It is closer to the OH CRAP kinda pain.  The other side was fine and I had the normal stiffness/pain all week from the Krav Maga and the first run.

I def strained it, not a bad / will be out months strain but I am going to let it rest this week, maybe try to walk 30 minutes by the end of this week.

I feel it most when I "stretch" that muscle, so laying down on my right side, the left leg / glute stretches more and can be really SHARP pain if I try to really stretch it out.

Whereas I roll over onto left hip, muscle is not really being stretched or used and very little/dull pain.

Today is better than yesterday which was better than the day before... so I think it was a matter of a pull/strain, whatever you want to call it.

I will check into the ice deal, that prob would have helped early on.  I did soak on Friday or Saturday night in really hot bath to help it.

Thx again for the advice!!
Sam

SueBee01
on 4/17/12 10:54 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
If you don't have a roller, a tennis ball works too. Sit on it and roll it around to get into the muscle and then ice it for 10 minutes.
 Sue

Sam LifeNerd
on 4/19/12 2:23 am
 Stretched out really good today before my Krav Maga workout today.  It starts with a minute or so of running, etc.  Muscle feels fine, gonna try Day #3 of C25k tomorrow at lunchtime!!

Most Active