carbs before workout

disneybound
on 7/18/12 3:11 am
VSG on 05/30/12
 The trainer at my Y said I needed to up my carbs when I work out.  What kind of snacks do you snack on before you hit the gym?  I have been going 5x a week, doing 40 minutes on the bike or treadmill and strength training 4 of those days.  I have been eating  600-700 calories a day, 20-30 grams of carbs and 65 grams of protein.  My doctors goal is 60-70 grams of protein.

Thanks 
Lynn

M1-32 M2-18
Krazydoglady
on 7/18/12 5:06 am - FL

I would up my protein to 80-90g per day, but otherwise keep doing what you're doing. Right now, you are a ways from goal and you  have fat to burn for energy.  It's very important, however, to have enough protein so that your muscles can repair. 

I followed a similar diet/workout schedule during weightloss, and of the 162lbs I lost, only 5 were 'lean' mass.  When you get close to a normal BMI, however, you'll need to reassess your diet in light of your activity level.  I had to add in carbs to be functional after I got to 'normal' and doing cardio and weights regularly.  I found I made my big strength gains when I went up in calories, as well. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

loverofcats
on 7/19/12 6:27 am, edited 7/18/12 6:28 pm
Before my weight workout after work, I will have some NF Greek yogurt with some berries. Gives me enough carbs and protein to get through the workout. Also, I have a recovery protein shake with a few frozen berries after the workout, since the muscles need the added protein to repair themselves and are the most receptive to nutrients within the first 30-60 minutes after the workout.

I agree with Krazydoglady about increasing your protein. This will decrease the loss of lean muscle mass during your weight loss.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active