pre op exercise to help me get ready for surgery

jjte
on 10/4/12 10:57 pm
 I am a 300 lb 58 yr old couch potato!  I am scheduled for RNY in December. I would like to begin some type of exercise now, to help me get safely thru surgery, and to start getting used to moving. Any thoughts? Thanks.
hrford
on 10/5/12 2:13 am
VSG on 03/19/12
Ok I wrote out this big long thing and then it suddenly deleted itself!  So I'll make it shorter.  Start slow, walk and water aerobics.  Then as you lose weight before and after you can up intensity and duration.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Kim S.
on 10/8/12 10:54 pm - Helena, AL

I began exercising 6 months before my surgery, and the nurses at the hospital swore that was why I had such an easy time in my recovery.

Walking is great, and make sure you hold your abs tight the whole time you are walking. Try to work up to a 15 minute mile. Also, do as much core work as possible.  It is so important for overall strengh to have a strong core.

Best wishes to you, let me know if you have any other questions.

Oh, and I was 44 and 324 lbs when I started, so it can be done!

jjte
on 10/8/12 11:10 pm
 Thanks for your reply!  I am scheduled for mid december and right now I am huffing and puffing when I walk from the car to my office!  I am going to start walking slowly, I also have an exercise bike in the living room so I can watch TV.  Have you ever tried the resistence band thing?  I am also looking into Zumba gold which will probably kill me in the beginning.  How long ago did you have your surgery and how are you doing?
Kim S.
on 10/9/12 3:38 am - Helena, AL
I had my surgery in May 2009 and am maintaining a 160 lb loss.  I am doing very well and have had absolutely no complications whatsoever.  I can eat anything- I do not dump.  I still, 3.5 years out, have very good restriction.  I follow the rules-protein first, no drinking with meals and I take all of my vitamins every day.  That isn't to say I don't eat "bad" stuff too....I do ocassionally fall face first into the Oreos or a cupcake!  When I overindulge I up the cardio.  I workout 5-6 days a week.

I did use resistance bands some in the beginning, but I prefer using hand weights.  A great overall fitness program that I used early out was Power 90 by beachbody.com.  It has a level one and a level two workout so you can use it for a while-and it is easy to follow-there is cardio and strength training and the best ab workout I've ever used.  I used this for about a year when I started working out, along with walking, jogging, hiking, yoga and nautilus equipment.

I tried Zumba, and it wasn't for me, but I know a lot of people love it and it is a great workout.  The key to becoming an exerciser is to find things you really enjoy doing....then it doesn't feel like work.  I run, hike, do yoga, boot camp, P90X, P90X2 and box.  I am never bored!

zsodja
on 10/9/12 9:42 am - OR
I am 288 pounds & 69 years old, my bypass surgery is scheduled for November 5th. I do exercise a lot, I walk & hike & am in the gym 6 days a week.
For a beginner, I would sugges****er fitness classes - they are fun, easy on the joints, &  you can do it at your own pace, gradually increasing your workout as you can. If you can find a water fitness class near you, I think you should try it!

Zoe
Most Active