How Soon Can I Resume Exercise after Roux-en-Y?

SusieD48
on 2/3/13 11:36 pm
RNY on 02/11/13

I have been exercising regularly since I began the process of preparing for this surgery.  I am worried about not being able to exercise after my surgery and then getting back on the horse so to speak.  How soon can I realistically look at resuming exercise?  I figure I would start on the treadmill and obviously no weight/strength stuff until 6 weeks after.

Kim S.
on 2/4/13 12:27 am, edited 2/4/13 12:27 am - Helena, AL

You know, I could've written this post (and think I did!) in 2010.

Talk to your doctor, and follow his/her recommendation.

I worked out for 6 months pre-surgery.  The day I went home from the hospital, I got on my treadmill (of course, VERY SLOW SPEED).  Each day I'd either walk outdoors or on my treadmill steadily increasing my distance only for the first few weeks.  At 3 weeks out I was clear to increase intensity, and at 4 weeks out I was cleared to resume weights.  I've never stopped!

Exercise is such an important part of this journey-you'll be so glad you did it sooner than later.  I can't help but think that because I consistently exercised for my entire journey that is probably the reason I never had a stall and lost every single wee****il I hit goal.

Most Active