Shoes Recommendations

Newstart2014
on 3/13/14 1:10 am - NC

Does anyone have shoe recommedations for supporting 300 lbs?  I need a good pair of every day dress shoes and a good pair of workout/walking shoes. 

weightloser1
on 3/13/14 3:22 pm

Sports shoes are best for walking and I use it for running, walking , jogging and cycling.

My health is my Highest Priority.

nfarris79
on 3/13/14 8:17 pm - Germantown, MD

One resource that might be of use is going to a running specialty store (something like Fleet Feet), as they have equipment that scans your feet to know where the most amount of pressure is being put on your feet while standing and would also be able to see w/ video cameras how you walk on a treadmill - - that data's important to know: how your arches are (e.g high, flat, neutral) and your form while moving (e.g. pronation, supination, etc). However, the shoes they would have there would only be for running so for shoes specific to walking or working out, you'd probably want cross-trainers, not running shoes. Do some research online once you know what your feet's needs are, but I'd think stores like REI or even sporting goods stores would carry something that'd be decent.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

KEMS_86
on 3/14/14 4:31 pm

When I work out I always got shin splints and it hurt like crazy! Then one year I won a gift card through work to Dick's Sporting Goods to buy sneakers. The guy there was really helpful. He showed us the sneakers that gave me the most support (I'm 270lbs). The shoes I ended up buying were Asics Gel 1160 with Duomax and it was a life saver! Everyone is different but I would highly recommend these shoes! http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Womens-GEL-1160-Running-Shoe/dp/B003C1P2ZM 

Jillify
on 3/23/14 7:21 pm - Glendale, AZ
DS on 04/01/14

For the workout/walking shoes, my physical therapist recommended New Balance. He said to get their more expensive walking shoes (they come in a variety of sturdiness and the associated cost). They come in almost every width/size combo and last me a year per pair of every day wear at 360lbs.  Do you have flat feet? If so, you can pull the insole out and insert a spenco arch support.

I have a harder time with dress shoes because I have flat feet and wide feet and need to use orthotics. If you don't need orthotics, Dr. Comfort makes fabulous dress shoes that are very comfortable.

Most Active