Does Pilates replace yoga or weights?

SkinnyScientist
on 7/27/14 11:25 pm

Hi guys,

There is only so many hours in a day. 

Recently I was at a new gym and they were really pushing pilates. I am unfamiliar with pilates but it looks to be a form of strength training?  Or is it more yoga/flexibilty.

If I were to integrate pilates into my workout schedule, would it replace cardio, flexibility or resistance?  Or is it its own creature and I would have to spend two hours at the gym, twice a week?

Thanks in advance.

L

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

MacMadame
on 7/28/14 1:06 am - Northern, CA

It could replace some yoga and strength training. But not cardio.

But if you like yoga and strength training and have a routine that works for you, why change it up? Or are you bored with yoga and looking to try something different?

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

SkinnyScientist
on 7/28/14 7:48 am

Trying something different. And the WLS doc (and NUT) argue that flexibility is just as important as weights and cardio.

But man, yoga ONLY burn 226 calories in 50 minutes versus the 568 calories in 50 minutes for step.

So..I was just trying to get somethign that improves flexibility but is a bit more on the burn...

kaytiebugs
on 7/29/14 12:00 pm - Flowery Branch, GA

You only need to do it once a week or so though. And you don't have to do a 50 minute class, you can just do some poses at home when time permits. I heard about an iphone app today that has different poses and how to do them.

SkinnyScientist
on 7/29/14 8:13 pm

Sounds cool. Will look for that app

MacMadame
on 7/30/14 10:19 pm - Northern, CA

It's not just calories burned at the time though. Strength training is actually the best way to burn fat in the long run, for example.

Personally, I hate yoga and love pilates but if you love yoga and hate pilates... everyone is different on this one.

I would just try it and see which one you like the best. If you find you like pilates, you might be able to do maybe slightly less strength training but not a lot less. Or maybe you like them both and you just do one of them the most and the other for variety. In the end, it's about what you will keep doing more than what is the "best" for burning calories. 

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

kaytiebugs
on 7/28/14 3:49 am - Flowery Branch, GA

Pilates doesn't replace strength training. It could replace yoga but not strength. Yes, you will build a bit of strength doing it, but nothing like real strength training.

If you're short on time you can pick up a yoga or pilates video and do it at home.

I'm studying for my certified personal trainer exam. Believe me, the two do not have the same function or goal.

Gwen M.
on 7/30/14 9:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I find that pilates (for me) is somewhere between yoga and weights.  Lots and lots of core strengthening.  I just do an hour class once a week, since while I enjoy it only one of the teachers I have access to seems to have a clue :P  So I mainly focus on yoga!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

hanneyalexa
on 8/27/14 10:31 am

I am not also familiar to Pilates but they say that this is a good core exercise. I am into Yoga class and it improves my flexibility and helps me to relieve some stress. I want to try Pilates too but I don't want to go to the gym because I get easily bored when I'm in the gym. 

ammster870
on 8/31/14 3:35 pm

If you are interested in pilates, I just finished an awesome program that incorporates Pilates and yoga. I had amazing results without the stress that cardio puts on my knees. Check out the video for the program Piyo through my coach site. Www.beachbodycoach.com/ammster870          I would be more than happy to help you find a workout that is suitable for your needs. I know how hard it is to find time for the gym and I love to work out at home as well. Feel free to email me anytime you need encouragement. [email protected]

Most Active