Exercise after RNY

Sonja M.
on 8/21/16 2:36 pm

My surgery was 12 days ago, and I've been walking 20 - 30 minutes a day, which is recommended by my doc.  Prior to surgery I was not an exerciser -- I would walk to and/or from work (1.3 miles each way****asionally.  I'm off wor****il Sept. 6 and plan to start at the gym in my building once released from my doc (at 6 weeks out - hopefully). 

Growing up, I was more likely to watch t.v. than to go outside and play.  However, in high school I was on the basketball and volleyball teams, and played softball in the summer.  Though not an athlete, I did enjoy volleyball and softball and have played on adult leagues in past years.  I do enjoy working out, once I can get into the routine of it - I just have always had trouble getting started.

My question for the vets is, what exercise routines and frequency do you recommend for RNYers?

I appreciate the input!!

Sonja

HW - 285 RNY revision surgery weight - 237 GW - 140 CW - 180

M1: -17#; M2: -7#; M3: -10#; M4: -7#; M5: -8#; M6 thru M11 -8#; M12:

Lap band surgery - 8/8/2007 -- lost 70 pounds (maintained 60). Band removal due to erosion - 10/12/2015. RNY revision surgery 8/9/2016.

Gwen M.
on 8/22/16 4:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi :)

The best exercise for everyone is, surprisingly, exactly the same - the exercise you will enjoy.  :)  My best advice is that you try everything you have access to.  Hire a personal trainer if you can.  Join a gym that offers a lot of classes with membership.  Try everything at least four times.  (If you take classes, try each teacher at least four times, they can be VERY different.)  Keep experimenting until you find the thing(s) that really excite you!  Try everything you can, no matter how much you think it might not be for you.  Revisit things occasionally as you lose weight.  

The "four times" rule is because we pretty much all feel stupid, awkward, and ungainly the first few times we do something new.  Giving it four tries will help you get beyond that period so you can actually judge the thing fairly.  

Here's a link to My exercise evolution.  I need to update it to take into account recent changes/hurdles, but it's still valid.  :)  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

januairry
on 8/22/16 7:17 am
RNY on 10/26/15

I've been doing a set of at home videos (Body Revolution by Jillian Michaels), walking and running. I agree with Gwen though, if you don't find something you enjoy, you'll never stick with it. I find I enjoy the bootcamp style programs and HIIT (high intensity interval training).

Sonja M.
on 8/22/16 7:31 am

Thanks!  I actually enjoy sweating to a challenging workout.  I'm hoping that having less body to get in the way and more energy will push me to workout hard and not wimp out! ;)

HW - 285 RNY revision surgery weight - 237 GW - 140 CW - 180

M1: -17#; M2: -7#; M3: -10#; M4: -7#; M5: -8#; M6 thru M11 -8#; M12:

Lap band surgery - 8/8/2007 -- lost 70 pounds (maintained 60). Band removal due to erosion - 10/12/2015. RNY revision surgery 8/9/2016.

cabin111
on 8/22/16 4:56 pm

As you loose the weight, it causes you to move better and go farther in your exercise.  As you exercise more, it cause you to loose more weight...Which allows you to exercise more and go further.  Instead of a downward cycle with weight gain, it becomes an upward cycle!!  You become a kid in a candy store...With a $20. bill and so many choices.  Side note...Know the signs of dehydration!! It's the # 1 reason that can land you back in the hospital.

I think you should do what I did.  Go from sport (or workout) to sport (workout) and see which one fits your style and pushes you a bit on the workout side.  I thought I would go back to tennis, racquetball and golf post op.  A bad back changed that.  I took up the bicycle and walked.  The bicycle doesn't become fun till you get over 1/2 way to goal.  You still have to push/pull all your weight through the peddle.  As you loose the weight, the bicycle becomes easier and easier.  To know whether you want to take up jogging you might want to try the Couchtwo5K.  There are a ton of sites and apps to download to get you to do (even run) a 5K to the finish.

So my suggestion again...Go from one exercise to another to see which one fits YOUR style...As you get released from your physician to do more harder exercise.  Brian

Emily H.
on 9/22/16 6:33 pm

Approximately 2 months after my RNY my hubby helped me walk to the end of the driveway. Within, months I was running races. 

After an injury I quit running and only recently started back up again. I run as far as I can, stop only long enough to feel strong enough, and start up again. It took me 5 months and my mileage is at about 5 mile runs so far. 

I really listen to my body and take it pretty easy but push myself at the same time. 

Let me know if you have any running questions  

emily h*
10-27-04 rny

Most Active