What can I even do?

DWTDA40
on 2/26/18 3:25 pm

Funny, I've been thinking about getting a punching bag, figuring I could probably just sit on the couch or a chair and still be able to wail away on the thing.

Partlypollyanna
on 2/27/18 6:31 am
RNY on 02/14/18

My trainer and I spar -- one day I was joking and said "let's do this on the balance ball so I can rest" -- so he let me and, turns out, sitting on the ball and punching is an insane core work out. Keep your feet tight to the base of the ball and you have to work your core with every punch -- even more so than with standing and punching. Try it if you can!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

DWTDA40
on 2/27/18 9:51 am

If I ever get down to a weight where a ball could sustain me I will definitely have to try that!

Gwen M.
on 2/26/18 6:35 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It would be unsafe to start an exercise plan with your health concerns before talking to a doctor.

That said, you can totally work on diet modification. Measure and track every single thing you consume and start making adjustments. Weight loss is at least 80% diet, so that's where it makes most sense to focus your efforts.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

highlandbear
on 2/28/18 3:48 am - Canada

start with your eating. you say you can not get out of the house so you must have someone who does your shopping. Only allow healthy food inside your home. No pop or sugar stuff. Going to 1200 calories at your weight would not be enough calories. talk to the doctor to see how much calories you should be taking in and keep track and the weight should start to come off. Once the weight start coming off than start walking. If you can just walk around your home each day for so many minutes. I have seen where people can not get out of bed and had a small punching bag above the bed and they would exercise using that. If you are sitting do leg marches or punches using your arms. Use a soup can and do arm lifts. Talk to the doctor first even over the phone and ask them if it would be OK to do these exercise and if the answer is yes than go for it.

DWTDA40
on 3/1/18 12:33 pm

Yeah it's all starting with the eating right now. We try to only bring good stuff in now. I rarely every drink coke/soda/pop anymore.

I agree, going to 1200 calories would be too extreme right now. My wife started Weigh****chers but that has me at something nuts like 79 points which I think that's too much so I try to keep close to hers (39), or if counting calories, anything between 2000-2500 right now.

The short answer I keep getting from everyone is that I really need to get a doctor first and then go from there, so I guess for now I work on the eating and hopefully in a few months or something I can fit in a car to get out to a doctor and go from there.

highlandbear
on 3/1/18 4:30 pm - Canada

remember women usually need less calories than man. You doctor should be willing to answer some of your questions over the phone about how many calories he would you like you to have and if seated exercise would be Ok. Once you know that you can start from there. there are some great exercise you can do seated. Plus it will show him that you want to change. Good Luck you can do it

Scary.Airy
on 3/29/18 11:01 am

I don't know how it works in the US, but is there a unit at one of your local hospitals that specialize in Bariatrics? Usually up here it's associated with the heart institute of the hospital. Even a private centre specializing in Bariatrics?

I would make some phone calls to them and reach out to them. I would say it's very, very likely that they would find a way to make arrangements to help you. That's what they're there for, right? Up here, they can even help make you transportation arrangements to appointments, even to pools or the fitness centres at the heart institutes.

Good luck! I hope you post more, I'd like to follow your story :) I like all these little changes that you and your family are making.

Ooh! Another recommendation... you mentioned that traditional therapy failed you. I get that. Have you looked into Cognitive Behavioural Therapy? (CBT)? I am a nerd fundamentally; and I love to know the facts and troubleshoot. CBT was WONDERFUL for that.

:)
A

Most Active