Working From Home

Forrest23
on 8/3/18 9:24 am

Hey everyone,

I work a desk job and I recently got the opportunity to work remotely from home. I am hoping I can use this change to start some better habits throughout the day, rather than just sitting at my desk and working all day. I am thinking of getting a treadmill and putting my laptop up there and trying to walk and work at the same time. If I split the time I spend sitting/walking while I work, I hope that it will help me establish some better habits. Has anyone had any experience trying to do this? Another thing is that I am trying to find a treadmill that will last a long time. I am hoping that I'll be able to lose some of my weight and start to actually run without my joints hurting. I am looking into getting this treadmill here. It looks like a good piece of equipment but I want to make sure that it is going to last a long time. Also, I might have to put something up there to make sure my laptop stays there. I would consider an actual treadmill desk but they just look like they will break down fast. So, does anyone have experience with anything like this or even that specific treadmill or just having a walking treadmill? Thanks.

Candrews1
on 8/3/18 2:49 pm - Jackson, TN
RNY on 04/17/15

Treadmills kill my legs. We literally call them "dread-mills". I have a desk job too (accountant). I work 8-5. Therefore, I'm up every day at 4 am. Thats when I get all my cardio/exercise in. I , depending on the day, swim/run/cycle early in the morning. If you get up early enough, you can get all your cardio in before work. It works for me but not sure of your position.

Forrest23
on 8/3/18 3:05 pm

I will consider that for sure. My wife is also pushing for the treadmill but I would like to incorporate what you just said and try to get my exercise/cardio in before work. I started swimming about 3 months ago but I have had to stop because of some shoulder pain that started, I don't think I was using proper form to swim. Anyways, that's beside the point, thanks for your help!

Alice H.
on 8/16/18 8:51 pm - Birmingham, AL

Were you swimming by yourself? Maybe you should try to exercise with a professional trainer, so he/she could help you to deal properly with your shoulder issues?

Knitter215
on 8/5/18 8:24 am
VSG on 08/23/16

I WFH 2-3 days a week. On those days, rather than trying to walk and work at the same time, I set aside time (e.g. my lunch hour or a 15 minute break in the morning or afternoon) to do a mini workout. But I dedicate significant time to working out and have since I started down this path in April 2016. I fence 2 days a week from 6:30-9 pm. I'm at the gym about 3 other days a week for an hour. I've made my health and working out my priority with my time when I'm not feeding the family or earning money to feed them! Find a schedule that works for you.

And before you spend a small fortune on a treadmill, check out Craigslist or other sale groups near you - there are always people looking to get rid of one and you may be able to save a ton of money. (No opinion on your choice because I'd rather die than run - hurts my knees too much. I use an elliptical for cardio).

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Forrest23
on 8/6/18 7:15 am

That is really cool, maybe I should focus on something like that and make sure I try to exercise in the mornings before I start work. Do you struggle with sitting all day at your desk when you do WFH? I try to get up at least every hour and take a "lap" by just walking around a little bit.

I don't mind running too much because I used to run in high school. The treadmill does hurt my knees a little bit but I learned that if I put the incline to 2-3% that it takes a lot of pressure off of my knees. Thank you for the tips I really appreciate it!

Knitter215
on 8/6/18 11:29 am
VSG on 08/23/16

Whether I'm at home or at the office, I make it a point to get up at least once an hour and walk for a few minutes - if I'm at the office I'm dropping things off at other people's desks, going to the ladies room, getting coffee, etc. At home, even it its just to refill my water bottle or change loads from the washer and dryer. (Which I'm about to do as we speak.) I have severe osteoarthritis in my knees and if I don't move, I get so stiff it takes me a while to stand up.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Forrest23
on 9/28/18 2:23 pm

I ended up getting the 1750 treadmill for NordicTrack, it has been great for us so far and helped us get our workouts in every day!

dav92grav
on 2/5/21 6:54 am

With the start of the quarantine, I also switched to a remote job, it was hard to keep active as before. But I still haven't chosen the right treadmill for me. I will look at some links, maybe I will pick something.

Most Active