A meal of vitamins? No way@!

pudgomatic
on 3/29/12 11:19 am - San Antonio, TX

I need help please! My doctor has prescribed for me to take a high potency multi, calcium citrate 1500-1800 (can divide up need be), vitamin 3 1000-2000 IU,  B12 1000mcg weekly, and Iron min of 18mg.

I am googling trying to find the best one that would fit that bill, without having to take 6 differnet pills, and not break the bank! 

Oh yes, and I would prefer chewable or liquid on as much of it as possible. 

Any help? Thanks!

poet_kelly
on 3/30/12 10:23 am - OH
Well, you'll need more than six pills a day.  Two multis, three doses of calcium citrate (with many brands, one dose is two pills), D3 and iron - that's 10 pills.  The B12 needs to be a sublingual, but 1000 mcg a week is not enough.  The ASMBS says you need 350-500 mcg daily.

If you want liquid, you might want to try ENS from Celebrate Vitamins.  It's a powder you mix with water and it contains one multi and 500 mg calcium.  If you want chewables, check out Celebrate and Bariatric Advantage.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ruggie
on 3/31/12 2:51 am - Sacramento, CA
Don't think there's anyway around this issue - you'll just have to take several vitamins.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

rbb825
on 3/31/12 7:08 pm, edited 3/31/12 7:10 pm - Suffern, NY
I had to tell you but at 6 years out, you should be taking alot more than that. These are starting minimum numbers and even then, not enough/

A multi you need to take 2 times per day no matter what. calcium citrate you need to take 1500- 2000mg per day in 3-4 daily doses so depending on what dose you get - it could be anywhere from 3 to 10 per day in 3 or 4 doses.

vitamin D - dry D3 - 75% of the population is vitamin D deficient and needs to take large doses of vitamin D - for us as post ops, if we dont want to get osteoporosis which we are at high risk for after the first year, you need to make sure you are getting in your calcium and D - taking 2,000 units per day wont do it unless you want to get osteoporosis. You need a minimum of 10,000 units per day and most need up to 15,000-20,000 per day or 50,000 - 2-3 times per week. It is imperative for bone strength,

B12 - either 1000mcg daily (not weekly) or a monthly injection and that is usually not nearly enough - most have to increase substantially after there first set of labs.

iron - 18mg of iron - if it has ferrous in the name dont take it. we need carbonyl iron with vitamin C - 60mg plus 400mg of vitamin C minimum and my NUT starts with 150mg - most need atleast 180mg/1200mg of vitamin C. You can get it vitalady.com called tender irons. 60 mg capsules.

B1 - 100mg tablets -a must or will get nerve damage and cogntive problems

there is no one pill you can take with everything - you have to take them separatel that is something we were all warned about when we signed up for weight loss surgery. This is for life - it isnt short term - as time goes on, it can get worse not better -you can need more things and you might need higher doses so be prepared. You also need protein powder to make shakes yourself or to buy the ready made shakes but you have to buy protein. This isnt a cheap proposition. My supermarket bills are a fortune,

I have a question - you say your doctor prescribed these vitamins like it is suprise? What have you been doing for the past 6 years?

pudgomatic
on 7/21/12 8:04 am - San Antonio, TX
"I have a question - you say your prescribed these vitamins like it is suprise? What have you been doing for the past 6 years?"...just saw this , sorry.

When I had my first surgery 6 years ago he told me to take a multi vitamin once a day, that was it. That is why the surprise now with the increase, especially coming from the same doctor. He even told me though that he is doing it completely different now.

rbb825
on 7/21/12 5:27 pm - Suffern, NY
First off, in my defense - no where in your post or your avatar do you mention that you are a revision.  It seemed from your post that you are just learning the basics of supplementation after 6 years of having an RNY.   Technically you are but you never got proper quidance the first time and apparantly never followed anything thing through.  I am not sure how you didnt get really sick after all this time not taking the necessary supplements - you still have malabsorbtion of vitamins - that doesnt go away, it is for life and if you dont supplement with B12 and several other things, it can get really bad including permanent nerve damage.

I wasnt trying to mean, I am just trying to help you out and get you back on track before you fall any further in a hole.  Supplementation is vital.  I am very willing to help you out if you would like the help.  Feel free to PM me anytime and if you have any recent labs, that would give me a much better idea of where you are at, to help you better with more accurate supplement dosing.

I wish you the best going forward.unfortunatly many surgeons dont give teh proper guidance at the beginning and get us off track from the start

rbb

katzmeow13
on 11/29/12 12:29 pm
Opurity has a chewable made gor post bariatric surgey. We were told one multi with breakfast, two calcium at lunch, two calcium at dinner... It will cover everything unless you need added b12 like me... Then i just do a sublingual once a day.
Most Active