Breakfast Ideas?

SDenae
on 11/29/15 12:01 am - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

Anyone have any breakfast ideas for someone who can't eat eggs (make me sick), is trying to avoid carbs, and isn't big on cottage cheese(when eaten alone)? Breakfast is the hardest meal for me since my surgery. Lately, I just stand there, staring into the fridge for a while and then give up and pull out some cubed ham. I'm getting tired of the ham, though.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Chanti_
on 11/29/15 11:28 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I don't enjoy cottage cheese by itself either so sometimes I will add 1 pump of torani syrup, the sugar free kind.  There are a lot of flavours I like hazelnut in mine.  I will also sometimes add 1/2 of a fruit cup, the kind with no added sugar.  There are 8 carbs in 1/2 a Del monte peach chunks fruit cup. You might be able to find ones with less and if you can get in 1/2 a c of cottage cheese with that you get around 16g of protein depending on the brand.  So for a meal I don't think that is too bad.  

I think you have Fage yogurt where you live (I can't get it here in Canada) and I hear people rave about it.  I use Oikos here and I again will add a flavor shot of something as I find greek yogurt a bit sour on its own.

I also don't get stuck on breakfast foods for breakfast.  I will eat cold cut roll ups with cheese and pickle, or sometimes have leftover chicken or pork from last nights dinner.  I also do protein decaf mocha in the AM sometimes.  I use 1 chocolate premier protein shake and 2 teaspoons of decaf instant coffee.  160 cals and 30gm of protein.  Not a bad start to my day.

I do eat a few eggs though.. Have you tried just egg whites like in an omlette with some ham and cheese.?  

SDenae
on 11/29/15 11:35 am - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

Thank you for your response. I'll have to get some of those flavored syrups. I haven't tried them, yet.

As for the egg whites, my husband made me an  egg whites turkey sausage yesterday and it made me feel sick.  I did a search of the message boards and found where several people said that after about a year they could eat eggs again, so that gave me hope. 

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Donna L.
on 11/29/15 1:45 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Honestly, I just eat dinner for breakfast.  I make extra and just have it.  I hate eggs, myself.  Today I had a turkey pita (St. Joseph's low carb pita) with turkey and swiss cheese. 5g carbs total, and 210 calories.  24g protein.  Another favorite breakfast is sirloin briefly sauteed with some garlic, mushrooms, and scallions.

Another option is chia seed pudding.  You can put almond or coconut milk with some chia seeds and let it sit over night.  I mix protein powder in it too.  Can be more caloric, but it's a nice and healthy change of pace.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Cocotopaz
on 2/23/16 1:06 am
RNY on 02/16/16

Chia seeds pudding?? It is just seeds and some kind of milk?

stacyrg
on 11/30/15 5:53 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I eat ground turkey mixed with spinach and some shredded cheese.  I'll also have greek yogurt mixed with a measured amount of peanut butter or, if my calories/fat intake looks like it will be on the higher side, I mix in PB2

HKT53
on 12/2/15 7:29 am - Toronto, Canada

We make a great pair. I cant eat after breakfast and you dont know what to do for breakfast. Anyway...I have a few ideas see if you like any of them. I am lactose intolerant but yogurts are fine for me. And instead of milk I use Almond Breeze.

Greek yogurt and spinkle Protein edge cereal on top (sprinkle anything cruchy that has protein like granola)

Greek yogurt with berries on top

Mix protein powder really thick like a pudding. Less than 1/4 required water for a normal shake

Oatmeal

Cream of wheat

Melba toast or something of that nature and dice tomatoes, little chunks of goat cheese with your diced ham (I use chicken meat) like an Italian brucchetta.

Now your turn...what can I eat for dinner without gagging.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Sweebra
on 12/7/15 7:32 pm

Lately I've been eating strawberry yogurt (Dannon light & fit) with peanut butter powder stirred in. It only has about 8 carbs that way and to me it tastes like a pb&j sandwich w/o the bread. Kind of like if you were to dig into the goobers jar with a spoon!

Brandi Girl
on 12/9/15 8:25 am
WLS on 10/18/11

For most breakfast I eat a greek yogurt and add a small amount of diced walnuts or even extra fresh fruit. If I'm extra hungry I will make a raspberry/baby spinach smoothie. Early out after my surgery I would only have a carnation breakfast drink with my protein powder added in.

Most Active