Hi Everyone!!!

Helen S.
on 5/16/11 11:36 am - TX
 I'm 60 and about to have VSG surgery (if and when I get approved).  I've been reading alot of your posts here on the 50 and over board. Everyone seems very happy and satisfied with their surgeries which is very encouraging. I'm just wondering if any of you have had major complications as a result of your surgeries. I know there's the board for complications, but it's hard to figure out whether they are the minority, or if the chances are pretty great. At first I thought my big concern was just making it through the surgery alive, but the more I read, the worrieder I get. I guess I just want to know every angle. Have you all had struggles keeping your weight off? Do you exercise and have you changed the things you eat?
Thanks everyone!  

BigCaliSmile
on 5/16/11 11:54 am - La Puente, CA

I had VSG in March for me initally it was difficult not physically but emotionally I am told sometimes the anatesia does that to you I am not sure what to blame for my minor discomfort compared to the lifestyle I am current shaping. I am very grateful for the opportunity to have this procedure after years of  weight loss attemps I am slowly steady losing.  Personally I have not encountered anyone with a negative experience with the VSG. I also feel fortunate I had a top notch surgeon. As I mentioned I am a newbie but you will find these boards very helpful. I dont get hungry per say. But at first the tasebuds and head hunger because I was used to snacking was fustrating. As time goes on I find the suggestions given by doctor and fellow WL  participants easier to follow. I think the first six months of transition will be a challenge and various levels after that its up to the person if they want to adapt and adopt the new lifestyle ( I exercise 6 times a week right now cardio) or if they want to slowly go back towards where they started. All I kept thinking was How grateful I was well they prepped for surgery I was going for weight loss surgery and not heart bypass surgery.  Hope you make the right decision for you.
Jan in Cali,  5ft  Sw 224                       
Helen S.
on 5/16/11 1:00 pm - TX
Thanks! I really appreciate your telling me your experience!
Laureen S.
on 5/16/11 7:23 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi Helen

And Welcome to the OFF Board.

Had my surgery (RNY) in October 07 and lost 98 lbs. at my lowest weight and have been struggling with a regain lately, working on getting off 15 lbs that crept up this past winter, due to inactivity and old coping mechacism, eating through stress and emotions. 

As for complications, none thusfar, it is a roller coaster of emotions, fat stores estrogen, so for some the journey through first 6 months can be emotional, sometimes beyond, but if you are working with some sort of support system, it will help you through.  There are some who have had complications, but most have stated that they would do it again in a heartbeat.  .

From the few I know who have had your procedure, can't think of anyone who was not thrilled with their life post-surgery.  Think you just need to be able to handle all the extra vitamin supplements, as I believe with your procedure it is a bigger list of them.

Again, welcome and good luck on your journey, look forward to seeing you around here.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Helen S.
on 5/17/11 1:57 am - TX
Thanks Laureen!!! I am SO glad I found this forum. I will be around for sure! :)
Debbiejean
on 5/16/11 10:19 pm - Shelbyville, MI
Welcome Helen! Don't worry about the future, it's beyond your control. Go into this know you made the right decision for yourself. Don't look backwards, it's in the past.
Don't compare yourself with others...we are all different. You listen to others stories about failure or complications...why? Again think positive and know your body, what you can do. We are all different.

Struggles keeping weight off? You betcha! It's called life. Any WLS will NOT keep your weight off. YOU will. It's called lifestyle change. That includes exercise. Everyone needs to exercise and I'm not talking about people that just had WLS. Everyone needs to move.

So yes, I exercise. I have changed the way I eat. Reach for protein first then fresh veggies and fruits. I don't do ice cream, it makes me sick but I can enjoy my Skinny Cow or WW ice cream treats. I stay away from fast food as much as possible. I practice Mindful Eating. I have an Eating Coach and her name is Kristy and I absolutely love her! I post her blogs on this forum almost daily if it connects with me and others on this board, she makes you think about food in different ways.

So good luck Helen, hopefully you will be approved for your VSG. I have several friends in my support group who had the VSG and they have done excellent! Go into to this doing this for your health, that means exercise too! I know you will do great and we will cheer you on! Debbie
Helen S.
on 5/17/11 2:02 am - TX
Thanks Debbie! I know I will need lots of words of wisdom along the way to change my lifestyle, so I'm very thankful to all of you who have been there and are sharing everything possible to help others succeed!  :)
Debbiejean
on 5/17/11 2:07 am - Shelbyville, MI
No matter what Helen...failure is not in our vocabulary. Learning is and of course if we don't make mistakes we don't learn. No one is perfect, in my book we strive for excellence in every field of our lives. Especially emotional eating. I'm an emotional eater and I believe most of us are. Always be kind to yourself. Hugs Debbie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 389 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1190 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1198 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1134 views