IUI question

AutumnBreeze
on 5/14/09 1:06 am - GA
I agree with every thing that everyone advised. I did 6 rounds of IUI and am also of materal advanced age. I did not have success with any of the IUI's. It is not painful. I would totally agree with Ann about making sure you do the trigger shot though other wise it seems useless to waste that amount of money.
Mine was a lot more costly and insurance did not pay either. I don't remember that exact totals. I also had to pay for the ultrasounds and those were costly. The actual IUI itself if I remember right was about $400. I tried clomid, ferma, follistim, etc.... I am sure I did more but it's been a while now and I can't remember all the names.
Best wishes with whatever you decide.

Tami

Hollywog
on 5/15/09 1:52 am
Thanks Tami.  Doesn't it suck being of the 'advanced maternal age' when TTC?  The first thing the drs do is look at you and say 'of course you're having trouble getting (or staying) pregnant...you're 40+ years old!  As if we were the first freaks in the world to walk through their door saying 'hey...help me get pg!' I can't even guess how many times I've heard that w/each of my m/c's...and the dr I see here in Jakarta reminds me of my 'AMA' each time I see him.

I assume that if your insurance doesn't cover the IUI, that they wouldn't cover IVF either?  I know that that is around $2-$3,000 here, per round...and I'm willing to do it...but obviously hope that the IUI works first just because it sounds 'easier' and is obviously less expensive...since my insurance will pay for 'diagnosis,' of fertility problems, but won't pay for 'treatment.' of the problem.  Sort of like saying they'll pay for tests to see if you have some sort of major medical problem...then leave you high and dry w/the treatment.

I know it might not be feasible for you financially...but if it is possible...have you ever thought about going to a foreign country and trying IVF?  It's supposed to be much cheaper than the U.S., and a lot of places have good results for us old geezers...South Africa, India, Malaysia and Thailand in particular.  If you and your husband were willing to use donor eggs (my DH and I are not), then they can do that there, too...though your chances of getting a donor egg that 'looks' like you aren't high...but if you're willing to adopt, then I'd think you wouldn't care if your baby came out looking like someone else, right?  Sort of like 'adopting' an egg to grow yourself.   A lot of these places overseas will even give you a 'package' deal that includes the IVF and all it entails, plus lodging and even throw in some tourism stuff to boot...and it's still usually cheaper than the U.S.  You'd have to google 'medical tourism' or something like that and narrow it down from there...and I'd definitely do some research re whatever place you were looking at.

I only mention this, because I can 'feel' your pain when you write about how hard this has been on you...not to offend you or anything (and I apologize if I have offended you...I don't mean to).

I will definitely talk to the dr about the trigger shot....and I'll also take Ann's advice to someone else and check re the Femera also...she said it's much easier on your body because it doesn't 'build up' in your body like clomid does.

Just out of curiosity...how much does an u/s cost in the U.S.?  At the dr I go to, they're about $25, plus $10 for the dr appointment...and if I went to one of the shopping mall 'clinics' here, I could get an u/s for about $12-$15!

Holly
 January 2008, 
               July 2008
               December 2008  
               July 2009
               September 2010
               July 2011

Mom to Khaled

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1290 views