Glucose test

marianacc
on 5/21/19 3:07 pm - Mexico

Hi! Anyone Who had this done? How did you tolerate the drink. And were the resulta accurate?

Thank you!

Meggles07
on 5/21/19 5:54 pm - Canada

It is not recommended for RNY patients to have the glucose test because it can cause extreme dumping. I was followed by an internist and took my blood sugars twice a day from 24 weeks onward.

bluebutterfly17
on 6/26/19 6:45 am
RNY on 09/17/18

My doctor is going to do the glucose test since my reaction to sugar has been good so far. I don't get dumping but I do get a huge drop in my sugar levels after consuming too much sugar so I always have a piece of candy with me for those moments. I'm 24 weeks as well.

With hard work comes results

Meggles07
on 6/26/19 7:04 am - Canada

Please be extra careful. Someone at my mom's clinic ended up in the ER after doing the glucose test. It is 50g of sugar for the first one and 75g of sugar if you have to do the retest. That is an awful lot of sugar in one go.

bluebutterfly17
on 6/26/19 7:15 am
RNY on 09/17/18

I will ask her again before she performs it, thank you. She has me scheduled for the 12th. I didn't realize it was that much sugar and she probably didn't pay attention to that either.

Meggles07
on 6/26/19 7:22 am - Canada

Here's a link to some of the details:

https://www.pregnancyinfo.ca/your-pregnancy/routine-tests/gl ucose-testing/

I don't know which clinic you are with -- I'm with Guelph. They were the ones who suggested doing the daily monitoring. It gave me a lot of peace of mind through the end of the pregnancy and kept me accountable with what I was eating. I was referred to an internist and they gave me the glucose monitor :)

bluebutterfly17
on 6/26/19 7:43 am
RNY on 09/17/18

I'm in New York. She gave me a monitor two months ago but I wasn't great at logging the info down so she said we will do the test. She has experience with patients like us so I usually don't question anything she says but I will look into this to be on the safe side. It could just be that the amount of sugar skipped her mind, like it did mine. Anymore advice you may have, I'm all ears. Well in this case, all eyes since I would be reading your advice, hehe.

Meggles07
on 6/26/19 9:17 am - Canada

I feel like other than the glucose test and doing regular bariatric blood work my pregnancy was pretty average. I did develop an ulcer but we believe it was caused by a stomach virus that I got. Our little nugget was born 7lbs at 40 weeks and 3 days. My only other issue was my milk didn't come in, but again, I don't think that was surgery related. If you have any specific questions I can try to answer them :) good luck with your little one!!

bluebutterfly17
on 6/27/19 8:12 am
RNY on 09/17/18

congrats on your little one and thank you! how far out from surgery were you when you got pregnant? I was only 4 months out and I was taking birth control pills as instructed.

sunshinespring
on 6/28/19 10:27 am - Bay Area, CA

I did the glucose test, for me personally it went pretty bad, dumping was to the worse I've ever had, heart racing, shaking, sweating. I was held in the clinic for about 2 hours until I felt better to be able to drive home and sleep it off, felt sick for the following days, not necessarily it will happen to you, we are all different

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views