I feel discouraged from my surgeon on weight loss

Charmaine C.
on 8/19/16 6:07 am - Columbus, OH

I spoke with Dr. Needleman today and I'm lost for words again. That he feels with revisions you may or may not lose no weight.  Or you may lose the weight you gained back and thats all. Hearing that  really discourage me this morning. I want to be a success story for myself and others. My new pouch is about 30 ml/ 1 ounce. I have the tools and knowledge of what I need to do going forward. So, I'm ready to show the world my success. 

I get to go home later this afternoon if I can get all my fluids in. So I don't come  back dehydrated. Thank you Jesus for a  successful surgery and recovery time.

acbbrown
on 8/19/16 10:29 am - Granada Hills, CA

Regardless of WLS, weight loss is a direct result of being in a calorie deficit. If you watch your calories, carbs, etc, and you eat less than your body needs, you will lose weight. I can see your surgeon's perspective from statistical stand point, but doesn't mean you have to be a statistic.

Just from my own personal observations, and not saying this is true of everyone ive seen, but most people I have known to have revisions were not 100% compliant with their initial surgery. Going into revision, unless they dealt with the WHY (why the didn't lose, why the regained), then they weren't much more successful. If you can eat around one surgery, you can certainly eat around another one. No surgery that exists can guarantee weight loss. it's up the patient and h ow much they want it and how hard they are willing to work for it.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Charmaine C.
on 8/19/16 1:05 pm - Columbus, OH

You said it so week. You hit it on the nose. The first time I lost weight I was a success for my surgeon. I went from 400 pounds to 162 pounds and I maintain my weight loss for 7 years out of the 11years. I gain 20 30 pounds and I still look good. But these last few years with the stoma and don't know why I time constant gaining weight and I work so hard to lose it and then I will regain it again it became a problem for me to where I wanted to give up. So now I retook classes seeing you know what they're pissed The dietitian and I'm back on track to where I needs to be so I know I have all the tools and the knowledge to get the 75 pounds off that I came back is better than the whole 228 pounds. So I believe in everything that you're telling me and it's true I have to work the tools that was given to me to be a success. Thank you

Holdenwhat
on 8/19/16 12:24 pm

You have a one ounce stomach- you are going to lose weight! Here's hoping you are the success that you want to be 

Ladytazz
on 8/21/16 1:17 am

My surgeon told me that I may not have any weight loss with my revision.  I don't know if he told me that because I failed so miserably with the first surgery or that was just his experience but at that point I didn't care.  I just wanted to stop gaining weight.

I had my revision to address some bad issues I had and fixing those issues was my main priority.  My quality of life was so poor that it was worse than being overweight.  I just wanted my health back.

That said, I decided that since I was having a revision anyway I might as well learn from my mistakes and make the most of the opportunity I had.  My best asset was my failure.  I knew what not to do.  I finally got it.  WLS is a tool.  I expected the surgery to do all the work and now I know that I am the one who has to work the surgery, not the other way around.

I still think he is surprised when he sees me that I have kept the weight off for so many years but I am happy to prove him wrong.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Kidda G.
on 9/3/16 10:05 am

Glad it all went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery! 

Karen D.
on 9/4/16 7:57 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I'm a revision and was told by the doc that I would lose slower than someone who never had a bariatric procedure before.  That has proven true.  I am a slow loser.  My nutritionist told me I'd likely never reach my goal.  No matter how slow weight loss is, I am determined to make my goal.  I try not to let those words haunt me, but they do.  

Good luck and continued success!

brneyezz45
on 10/13/16 6:37 pm
Revision on 10/18/16

I asked my surgeon yesterday if you lose slower from band to rny and he said no.  You lose slower if your go from rny to whatever.  My surgeon has done over 3,000 cases and he said it is not true.  

Most Active
Recent Topics