Who's Nervous or WAS nervous???

j_brooke
on 4/18/11 2:03 am - TX
4/18/2011
Hi, I am new to this site. I am half way through my process for WLS...a RNY. I am NERVOUS!!! I am wondering if its normal to start having "second thoughts" or the feeling of wanting to back out half way through when your almost there and so close to having an actual surgery date? I am so nervous & scared! I am afraid of complications, I dont know why because I just turned 32 and I am healthy except for asthma and a lung condition. No high blood pressure, diabetes, knee prblems, nothing. I am thankful I am pretty much over all healthy except for the fact that the scale does not and WILL NOT lie, I am weighing in at 275 :( I know this surgery has to happen and I am hoping that some of you will share with me what you found most comforting and what helped ease your nervousness in the months leading up to surgery?
MultiMom
on 4/18/11 2:11 am, edited 4/18/11 2:12 am - NH
Who WASN'T nervous??

Before and after pictures helped me......

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

yecats44
on 4/18/11 2:14 am - Kennebunk, ME
Having second thoughts is completely normal. And so is being nervous in scared. It is big surgery. But remember the reasons why you are pursuing this. I am 1 week post surgery and the surgery was not as big as a deal as I made it. I was so nervous, scared, yet ready to do this. So much anticipation. All completely normal.  I kept my mind as busy as I could, learning as much as I could and reading this site regularly. There is a lot of knowledge here. I was comforted knowing how many people said, despite some hardship, that it was worth it and they would do it all over again. I used the time constructively to look at why I wanted this and how I would go about using the surgery as my tool to get to my goal. You are just 32 so the co-morbities have not developed and it will be so good for you to do this now and avoid developing them. I think knowing how much this was going to positively impact my life kept my spirits up. That, and friends and family who supported my surgery. Good luck and take care. You can do this! Keep us posted!
                         HW 297, SW 253, CW 228, GW 155

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 2:20 am - Boston, MA
I was nervous until they knocked me out with tears running down my face on the operating table.. I won't lie the recovery was hard for me.. and things like not finding a protein shake I can stomach or not being able to drink water anymore (for now hopefully) are really frustrating but I'd still do it again..I did not have a single weight related health issue before surgery.. NONE, I felt great .. but I weighed 346 lbs! now 6 weeks later I'm almost 50 lbs lighter.. this surgery was the only answer for me.
nikki7805
on 4/18/11 2:24 am

Hey! I am just starting my process also, I have my 1st consultation with my surgeon tomorrow and start the 3 month program tomorrow also. I am extremely nervous, but I want this so bad. I am also 32 years old and my weight is currently about 290. I had lost 107lbs a few years ago.. and in 4 years have gained 90 lbs back. I am so excited though to have this amazing tool to help me reach my weight loss goals and keep it off. Good luck with your journey!!  :)

nfarris79
on 4/18/11 2:29 am - Germantown, MD
 I had surgery 5 days ago and wasn't nervous about me backing out but was terrified that surgery would get cancelled or denied or rescheduled (hospital had traumatized me by pushing it back by one day due to scheduling problems). But it is entirely normal to feel a MIX of emotions. If you've ever been thru surgery before of any type, that can help you have a barometer of your risk of complications, but being young and healthy helps your expectations of a speedy recovery.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Mandypants402
on 4/18/11 2:34 am - Canada
I am getting my surgery next Wednesday and I am freaking out too! I just keep thinking about how hard it is to do things like bending over and tying my shoes! It will be worth it! My motivation is to fit on a rollercoaster again!
Tonya0531
on 4/18/11 2:40 am - Lake, MS
My surgery is a week from today and I AM nervous!!  Last week, I was more in a panic, back out mood but I have relaxed and now it's more nervous anticipation!!  I weighed 274 when I went for my first nutrition class.  Now in my 2nd week of my pre-op diet and I"m down 13 lbs.  I think that is what changed my from scared to death to nervous but excited.  Just to see that scale start going down has relaxed me alot.  I KNOW this is going to work for me and can't wait for the new me to show up!  Good luck!!
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
mdolan20
on 4/18/11 2:48 am - Brick, NJ
I did start to get a little panicky (?) a few days ahead but honestly? I just tried to avoid the situation lol I put it out of my mind. I said to myself " This is a new chance for you so get over it" and I just put myself in kind of a mind daze if that makes sense...That was just a week ago...now it's all over and I'm so thankful to be on the recovering side ...every day gets so much easier and before you know it, it'll be all over :)
Barbie F.
on 4/18/11 3:05 am - ME
  i wasnt nervous til a week before my surgery, i wasnt just nervous i waas terrified.... i wanted to cancle it.. i was afriad i was goin to die, u name it i thought it.. but i am so glad i went through with it.. i havent had any problems yet im only 3 weeks out today.. i werent nervous the day of surgery i was to excited.. good luck to you all who are gettin ready to have the surgery.. it will be fine n the best thing you've done.. you'll be glad you did it!!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 522 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 529 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 388 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 96 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?