Suggestion for newbies: keep at least one piece of your "fat" clothes

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/29/11 11:29 am - OH
For those of you who are pre-op or new post-ops, I would strongly encourage you to keep at least one piece of your "fat" clothes so that you will have a tangible frame of reference for how big you were before surgery.  Although you may think that you never want a reminder of being obese, this will accomplish several things. 

Number one, many people don;t really see themselves as large as they are so it will help give you some perspective on your NEW size as you shrink (which can encourage you  when you are struggling with an extended stall).  Also, many of us struggle with seeing our new bodies accurately (the brain takes a while to be able to NOT see the obese body it is used to), and seeing how you look in the old piece of clothing you wore a lot can help your brain adjust.

Number two, for many of us it is VERY exciting to be able to do things like stand with both legs in one leg of your pre-op jeans or take a photo of themselves and a child both in their pre-op pants. 

Most importantly (IMO), and sometimes people are dissatisfied with the body they end up with (wanting to be smaller), seeing the physical evidence can help promote provide a more positive attitude when you can physically see how far you have come.  I really wanted to be a single digit clothing size even though I knew that it was probably not possible because of my muscular thighs and big boobs (whihc I have had since Jr High, before I got heavy), and some days it really gets me down to see how many people here ended up as size 2/4/6, but when it gets really bad I can pull out the old jeans, the old sweater, or the old dress that I saved and see how much smaller I am.  Even if I am not as small as I wanted to be, when I see the old clothes on (or next to) my new body, I cannot deny how how successful I have been 4 years post-op... and it makes me feel better.

So, consider packing away an old pair of pants and an old sweater or shirt...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

exohexoh
on 9/29/11 12:03 pm - West Chester, PA
 i saved my old work pants and it was so exciting that i could fit into one leg. i also wear the same lounge shorts just cause they're comfy and i don't really care around my apartment if i look funny. i also saved some old expensive juicy couture stuff i can't part with but really is just sitting in my closet... i'm thinking about turning the hoodies into pillows or something

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Samantha.M
on 9/29/11 12:48 pm - Germany
 I will keep my favorite POGO sweatshirt but that's only because I love love love it and I will wear it untill it falls apart. Everything else though I will toss in a bonfire and watch it burn!! Mwahahaha 
Proud army wife and mom of 2 ♥       
kipz303
on 9/29/11 12:56 pm
I'm at my own personal goal (well...2 lbs from it lol) I pulled out my old size 38 pants the other day (womens 38 not mens) OH MY ..my pants size now is literally the size of one of the thighs of my old pants ^_^ what a morale booster!! I also ran across a favorite holiday sweater of mine..an offwhite cashmere with burgandy flowers and beads across it...I wore it to bed since it's too big to wear out in public...gosh darn it the thing was so big I wriggled out of it at some point in the night....LOL fell right off!!  

RNY - August 13, 2010

LBL - October 29, 2012

a total of 271 lbs lost!!

Emily P.
on 9/29/11 12:57 pm - Southgate, MI
I have a belt.  I can still wear it b/c the holes go all the way around it.    It's great to tuck the excess into the belt loop that is at the VERY back of my pants. 

I wish I'd kept a pair of jeans.......

It's not all glitter and rainbows.  

cajungirl
on 9/29/11 12:59 pm
I 100% agree and think this post should be bookmarked and reposted occasionally. I still have my jeans but misplaced the shirt I kept when I moved. I took pictures in one leg and still take the jeans out to remind myself of the changes.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Lisa R.
on 9/29/11 1:02 pm - CA
I totally struggle with this issue you talk about!  I am 85 lbs down from the heaviest weight I ever recorded (256 at the dr office in Feb of 2010, I may have been bigger at another time, but this is the largest one i have on record) so you would think I would be elated to be only 25lbs from goal and a size 10 and medium shirt.  It sounds great and I am happy, but why do I see a fat girl when I look in the mirror?

People tell me I was really skinny, I don't see it.  My doctor even told me (she has been my doctor for years) that I look totally different, she wants my before and after pic for her office.  I don't want to give it to her yet because I don't feel after yet?  I keep wondering "when will I wake up and finally see the real me? "  Do i have to wait until I hit goal?  Is it a mind thing?  I can't accept it until I see 145 on the scale?  What if I never see 145?  ugh!  

But I do have my "fat" jeans.  Maybe I will go try them on right now for a pick me up! 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
kipz303
on 9/29/11 1:06 pm
I feel that way too, Lisa!! I'm down to a 10..12 if they dont stretch and a medium/large in tops ..yet I still try to cover the 'fat girl' in longer, baggier clothes. Everyone around me keeps saying "what fat girl?" lol I just don't see it until I take pictures or step into old clothes!

RNY - August 13, 2010

LBL - October 29, 2012

a total of 271 lbs lost!!

Rebecca H.
on 9/29/11 1:36 pm
I gave away most of my bigger clothes. I kept a few pieces...favorites that I didn't want to give up. Another thing I think I'm going to do is print a picture of myself at my largest weight and carry it with me. When I feel tempted to eat something really bad or eat too much, I'll have the picture to remind me of what I don't ever want to look like again.
exohexoh
on 9/29/11 2:07 pm - West Chester, PA
 i'd say we should all post pictures in our old clothes but mine are at my parents house 2 hours away :-(

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 343 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 165 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 266 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?