Second thoughts... MAJOR second thoughts

rebeccaj
on 9/29/11 10:46 am - Bowling Green, KY
OK, I am less than a week from my surgery date (Wednesday Oct 5).  And I am seriously questioning my decision.  I am having revision, band to RNY, and I am thinking that I am about to make a terrible, non reversible decision.  I have stressed myself to the point of breaking out in hives!  HELP is this normal???

HogRider
on 9/29/11 10:51 am, edited 9/29/11 10:52 am - Jacksonville, FL
YUP. Not going to lie to you and I doubt anyone else will either. Any WLS is a tough decision and all the what if's and maybe's are normal. I am having my surgery tomorrow in less than 12 hours. My stomach is tied in so may knots it hurts. What gets me through is the opportunities I will have after and begin living life to the fullest. My only advice is to get with someone who supports you, have a heart to heart talk and just relax, take a deep breath and look forward past next Wednesday. Good luck and speedy recovery.
USAF Retired                     CW: 257 SW: 341  GW :170
Adrienne G.
on 9/29/11 11:12 am - Germantown, MD
By any chance did you keep a journal?  I find it very reassuring to look back at my original thoughts and concerns when I'm having any doubt about WLS.  Best of luck
Starting weight (12/10) - 346; Surgery day weight (10/11) - 282.4

Lori P.
on 9/29/11 11:25 am - Kenosha, WI
I was not a revision....but as I was being rolled into the OR I rememebr thinking "what the he11 am I doing".....I also thought...."this OR looks run down, I hope I live"  I was on the happy drugs and I probably even said these things out loud!!   When I awoke in the recoery room....I also thought "the the he11 did I do"?   Looking back it was just nerves....this was the best decision I ever made  :)

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/29/11 11:33 am, edited 9/28/11 11:33 pm - OH
Yes, it is VERY normal. Well, not the hives, but the fear and second-guessing. Yes, the surgery is permanent (and that is scary), but is there any other way for you to get the excess weight off and avoid the health issues associated with obesity? Does your insurance cover, and have you considered the sleeve instead of RNY? It is no less permanent but does not have some of the associated "down sides" that RNY has.

Cute Westie, BTW...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cleveland34
on 9/29/11 11:43 am
I had my RNY almost 2 months ago and I went through the same second thoughts like "I can just do this myself". Then I remembered "oh ya I've tried that" 40 years of dragging extra weight around has taken it's toll on my body. Before surgery I thought om gosh I'm gonna have to take vitamins forever. I've come to realize I'd rather take vitamins forever than a bunch of other meds that will ruin my liver. It's a huge step, I was scared to death. I'm loving my new healthy life and I wouldn't change it. Good luck to you.

poet_kelly
on 9/29/11 11:46 am - OH
I think it's normal to be nervous.  I don't think it's real common for people to break out in hives over it but some people do get hives when they are stressed.

Do you want to talk about the questions you have?

You can always postpone your surgery if you are not ready right now.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

labellavita1982
on 9/29/11 11:59 am - Neenah, WI
I almost backed out several times, but I decided to go through with it. It was the best choice I've ever done besides have my son. It's normal to feel like this.

HW-500lbs SW-381 CW-235 GW-185
Steph
AnneGG
on 9/29/11 12:34 pm
I was scared before and had regrets after surgery- what have I done to myself?

Now 14+ months out- no regrets whatsoever. I am at my goal weight in size 2 pants, I have never been healthier- my comorbidities are gone- and I can run 5 miles a day at age 60! Would I do it over again- in a heartbeat!

Keep your eyes on your goal!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Renee2be
on 9/29/11 1:06 pm - NC
Very normal,  I actually had a full blown wake me up in the middle of the night panic attack 2 weeks post op.   I called my mother at 3 am and we had a long talk,  some friends were actually on facebook and we chatted.  It helped,  i got to go over why i was doing this, why it was necessary and why i had not been successful before.  I needed help and a tool to get healthy.  

Now surgery day,  i kept thinking, your actually going to do this?  

That was 3 weeks ago 9/9.  And i am very glad i did.  Already.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 144 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?