OT: just when I did NOT need more stress, my Chow has really bad hip dysplasia

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/1/11 12:10 am, edited 10/2/11 2:47 am - OH
I am already stressed out because of losing my long-time therapist (she retired last month) and not  havoing a suitable substitute, by a dear friend whose heslth is rapdily declining, having to go back to work next week after medical leave (I hate my full-time IT job... it is boring, I don't have all the background I need, and it is VERY stressful), and until I can get my stress level down (even now that my belly pain has been resolved) I cannot handle the load of a full-time job, seeing clients part-time, taking care of a house and yard and dogs alone, AND finishing my PhD... so I have had to stop seeing clients.

Anyway, I pretty much already knew what the xrays would show because of the way he has trouble getting up from teh floor, jumping into the car, and going up the steps, but the vet took xrays and confirmed that my baby Khan (a Chow that is just a year old... and that I waited a full year to even GET) has severe hip dysplasia on his right side and moderate problems on the left.  He is clearly in pain and we have started giving him Rimadyl, but his life will likely be shortened significantly unless we attempt surgery (which I just don't know how I can afford) because of debilitration and the potential for him to turn mean because of the pain.  Chows are very stoic about p[ain so it is difficult to gauge their pain levels.  I love this dog like crazy and it is just so heartbreaking to see how limited he is already at only a year old and to think of having to put him down in just a few years.

Makes me want a cookie....   

Lora.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Michelle E.
on 10/1/11 12:19 am
I had to put down 2 dogs in the last 6 years.  My great dane couldnt walk anymore and the pain of his arthritis even with hydro therapy, and medication didnt resolve the pain. My female ****er spaniel suffereed with Haemolytic anemia. After her 2nd episode of bleeding out, we decided it was kinder to put her down.

We gave rimadyl to Brutus our 9 yr old dane.. It takes time though.. surgery I think for hips is the only real remedy.. Maybe you can look into care credit.. alot of vets have private donors who help with medical care for dogs and cats.

I hope you can find some help for your doggie.
Blondie76
on 10/1/11 12:26 am - AL
Oh how I wish I could ve there and just give you a hug!! I'm so so sorry about your baby! (And all the other stressors). Do you happen to have a university around with a good vet program? A lot of times you can get amazing deals or even free care. I've taken my mare and a lab to university of Washington (go Cougs!!) and they have always been amazing to work with and so wonderful with my animals. I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers!!
AnneGG
on 10/1/11 12:32 am
Oh, Lora, what a rotten train of problems for you! I wish I could do something practical to help! I'm sorry about Khan.

I will be thinking of you and swinging lizards...

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

poet_kelly
on 10/1/11 1:11 am - OH
You definitely don't need more stress.

I'm so sorry about your dog.  I hope the medication helps.  Would surgery be likely to fix the problem?  Or would he still have some pain after surgery?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/1/11 2:46 am - OH
The surgeon is not really sure how much help the "typical" surgery would be... they would likely have to do a full hip replacement on his one side.  So, we will see how much the meds help and see if he continues to have difficulty getting around first.  After shelling out $5000 for MY portion of replacing the siding on the house after the hail storm, I cannot even consider spending money on surgery for him until I can get my savings account back up... my job situation is just too tenuous.

Lora

turningpoint
on 10/1/11 1:19 am
I am so sorry about your Chows hips. I know how tought that is to take. My dog also has it. Although according to her xrays she cannot walk, I never told her and 5 years later she is still running my yard. She is no longer able to take pain meds....they all caused various side effects. Keeping up muscle tone helps a lot so walk, swim and strength building exercise will help.

Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
dlo2
on 10/1/11 1:33 am - Brandenburg, KY
Sorry Lora,  I have two dogs and I know first hand how deeply in love you fall for them.  I call them my furry children.  Hang in there and I hope life gets easier for you.  I just had to go back to work only being off 10 days.  When I went back I gave my notice and next friday is my last day.  I just couldn't take it anymore.  I do have another job lined up but it won't start for probably 6 weeks or so.  So I will be broke for a while but my stress level will improve.  I have just had too many health issues to continue the level or stress I had a work.  I am very blessed who has a husband who has a good job and supports my decision.  financially it will be touch but we will survive.  Best wishes to you and I hope you find something that helps your furry baby.
Debbie
Paula F.
on 10/1/11 2:32 am - Rochester Hills , MI
Hi Lora,

I haven't been on for a while and was curious to know what your stomach pain ended up being and how it was resolved.  I am so glad you are feeling better healthwise, so you can focus on your sweet puppy.

So sorry to hear about your therapist.  Would she perhaps provide a few referrals?

As far as your sweet puppy, did you get her from a breeder?  If you did, while I have only ever had mutts,  I thought through a breeder  they could only sell dogs that had been checked for such issues and illnesses.  Perhaps you have some recourse through your purchase contract and they can help or even cover the vet bills and meds?  Just seems like you should have some legal recourse on your side.

In addition to the local vet schools, perhaps the local humane society provides reduced vet fees?  I believe ours does.

I sure wish you the best of luck and that you quickly find a therapist who can be a sounding board for all you are having to deal with.

Hugs,  Paula
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/1/11 2:57 am - OH
The problem cuasing my pain was part of the intestine being stuck to the abdominal wall bvy adhesions and then, a couple of inches from that, the adhesions were causing to the intesting to actually "grow into" the mesh that had been put in 3 years ago when I had my incisional hernia repair done.  She she removed a boatload of adhesions, freed up the intestine in both places, and then removed the mesh so that it could not happen again.

My therapist has provided one referral, but because of the intensity of my PTSD, it needs to be someone who is very comfortable (and experienced) with trauma work, and most of the people she knew who fit that bill have also retired or moved out of the area... and, being a counselro myself, several of the ones I know are either professional "friends" or grad school colleagues whihc would make the situation very awkward.  I ahve someone that I will be working with on a limited basis until I find one covered by my insurance (he is not and I have a $2500 co-pay (!!!) on out-of-network providers), and he is already famikiar wiuth what happened since I did EMDR with him for a few months a couple of years ago, but I cannot afford many sessions at $90 each.

The breeder has a 3-year guarantee against gentic defects (and hip dysplasia is one of those), which is unusual, but the guarantee only includes a free "replacement" puppy (no coverage of vet bills).  The last thing I need is a third dog (I also ahve a 5-year old Scottie), and another Chow puppy would mean twice the weekly brushing which would be a nightmare!  I need to contact the breeder and find out if the guarantee means I have to take a new puppy right away or if I could get a new puppy from them when/if Khan has to be put down in a couple of years... AND what happens to Khan (surely they would not want me to return him to them since they cannot breed him...???)

Lora

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 92 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?