b12 nasal spray or b12 shot?

alwayswith0uty0u
on 11/17/11 10:22 pm - PA
i just started on the b12 nasal spray cus i figured it would be easier then stabbing myself with a needle once a month but its so confusing and i dont know if im missing out on energy cus im not doing the shot. does anyone have any wisdom when it comes to these two, and which one is better?
Cleopatra_Nik
on 11/17/11 10:23 pm - Baltimore, MD
If you're asking if one is better than the other, no not really. I think the dosages are different, but both are ways we can absorb b12 into our systems (along with sublingual tablets).

If you are new out from surgery, it's doubtful that any energy issues would be coming from lack of b12 though. It's probably because your body is running on reduced calories. Until your body starts really burning fat, you'll be a bit tired I'm afraid.
alwayswith0uty0u
on 11/17/11 10:27 pm - PA
im almost three months out but for the first two i went to my dr for my shot. with the nasal spray it says to do a full pump up one nostral but how do i know if im getting the full pump? it runs out and then im afraid to blow my nose but its a redish liquid and i dont want to walk around looking like i got a bloody nose all day. plus i just figured that maybe the shot would be more powerful or something lol
Cleopatra_Nik
on 11/17/11 10:37 pm - Baltimore, MD
The red liquid is a dye. The b12 gets absorbed in your nasal passage. I did the spray for a while (didn't like it...felt like snorting coke or something) and the rep from Nascobal told me to hold my head back, spray and then sniff and I was getting it. I did and it seemed to work pretty well. The dye will stay behind. The rep told me the only time it isn't absorbed well is if you have a runny nose or a lot of congestion in your nose.

I did the shot as well. Mine was once a month and I always forgot it. Doing the shot was not bothersome. It just seemed so complicated for the pharmacy and my doctor to put me on a dosage that was more frequent (not sure why). So I switched. Not taking it at all is far worse than not absorbing all of what you take, trust me.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

DisneyLover
on 11/17/11 10:33 pm - WI

I was on the nasal spray.  One squeeze of the 'trigger' and that is your full dose.
I was told to do it right before bed so then you are laying down and that will help it absorb better and not allow gravity to run it out of your nose.

Sarah

poet_kelly
on 11/17/11 10:43 pm - OH
Both should work equally well.  Whichever you prefer is fine.

If you are interested in trying the shots, though, they are not hard to do and don't hurt.  It was really hard to work up the nerve to stick myself the first time, but I was surprised how easy it really was.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

nfarris79
on 11/18/11 3:39 am - Germantown, MD
 I've been on the nasal spray for the past couple months and it really helped my labs - went from 490s to 680s! Some tips: prime the pump by doing one spray into a tissue or napkin, then snort as you're spraying up (yes, like you're doing cocaine). Do not take a steamy shower or drink anything hot for an hour after the dose, as it dilates your nasal passages and can make it run out when your nose gets runny. I usually hold my nostrils together for a couple seconds & hold my head backwards for a bit. 

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

LivinTheDream
on 11/18/11 12:07 pm
I just did my first shot today.  Like Kelly said, it was really hard to work up the nerve to stick myself in the leg with a needle, but once I did, I found it didn't hurt at all.

I was shocked!     So, for now at least, I'll be doing a shot every 3 weeks.  I found out a few weeks ago that I'm deficient.  360 or so.  I hope getting my level up helps me with my thinking.    
HW: 360  SW: 333

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/18/11 11:14 pm - OH
Is there a particular reason you don't want to just take a high-dose (5000) B12 sublingual once a week...?  Better alternative to shots or nasal spray IMO... and cheaper!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jchapla
on 9/24/14 10:24 pm

I had gastric bypass in 2002. I weighed 317, and now I'm at 144. Get as much and the best quality supplements you can get. My b12 tests were always normal, but 12 years later I have started to develop neuropathy in my hands and feet. Probably from malabsorption. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 315 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 330 views