embarrassed to ask but need relief...skin apron problems

timetoloveme62
on 11/30/11 8:43 am - VA
 I haven't had surgery yet, it is monday but I am extremly overweight and I have an apron of skin that hangs off my belly.  Under that is red, and raw and smells horrible right now.  I have tried everything I know of, I know I need to keep it dry but how?  Has anyone ever experienced anything like this, what do I do?  
poet_kelly
on 11/30/11 8:45 am - OH
I don't know how to keep it dry.  But talk to your doctor about it and make sure they document it in your chart, because there is a good chance your insurance will pay to have it removed if you want after you're done losing weight, if it's documented that other treatments were not effective.  You might also take pictures of it for the insurance company.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

timetoloveme62
on 11/30/11 8:47 am - VA
 Thank you, I will do that.  I see the surgeon tomorrow so I guess its good timing.
NANCY C.
on 11/30/11 8:47 am - OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
 Don't be embarrassed.  Everyone understands here!  I actually have had that happen and what I did was first gently wash and dry the area and then I put vaseline all over the raw area.  It works for me and usually within 24 hours the pain is gone.  You may want to do this more than once if it is really sore.

Others may have better ideas - I just know this works for me.

HW  313   SW  285   Goal 155

lhollywood
on 11/30/11 8:52 am
 I'm a nurse in an OBGYN clinic which doesn't have a lot to do with your apron, however we have had patients who have come in with reddened areas like that under their breasts and bellies, and it's a topical yeast infection.  There's something called Gentian Violet which is this bright blue liquid that acts like an antiseptic.  I'm pretty sure you need a prescription for it, but it shouldn't be hard to get from your PCP if it is in fact a topical infection.  It is soothing and seems to work for the patients we have seen.  The only downside is that this medication is bright blue and will stain your clothes, and stain your skin for a day or two.  Just my two cents.  :)  Hope you get to feeling better!
 "Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be..."              
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/30/11 8:53 am - OH
The best thing is to have your doctor prescribe Nystatin powder. You will want to do your best to get that cleared up ASAP so that you do not run the risk of spreading bacteria to any of your incision sites after surgery!  If you sweat a lot, you may also want to place something absorbent between the two layers of skin and wear cotton underwear to try to increase (as much as possible) the amount of air that can get to the raw area.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

myminime
on 11/30/11 9:03 am - Eugene, OR
I agree with Lora - if it's damp a lot, or sticky or whatever, keep a wash cloth or small towel, or even a sock (!) in between. I had problems with mine when I was pregnant, and I just used a baby wash cloth and it cleared up pretty quick.
TysCandi
on 11/30/11 9:23 am
I actually have had this on numerous occasions. I wash the area and then apply triple antibotic ointment when I don't have antibotic cream. Make sure you wash and pat dry the area...I know it may sound weird but after you wash and dry off and put the ointment on, and lay on your bed without clothes and hold up your stomach and allow the area get air...Hope this helps...

HW: 326  SW: 312  GW:140

timetoloveme62
on 11/30/11 9:27 am - VA
 Thank you all for the help...I am going to work on this, clean and dry, no cloths, hold stomach to get air.  I am ready to try anything and everything

Daphne G.
on 11/30/11 10:53 am, edited 11/30/11 10:53 am - WI
I did everything that has been mentioned but I also used Gold Bond medicated powder.  It really helps dry it up and the menthol feels really good too.  It helped me a lot.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 288 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 260 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 210 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 313 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 139 views
Recent Topics