the facts about collagen protein bullets/shots

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/22/11 4:28 am - OH
Since I took 20 minutes to write this up in response in another post to someone's request that I provide sources to back up my "opinion" on the uselessness of the collagen protein shots/bullets, I decided to post it here where more people will see it.

For those who have not heard, the protein shots/bullets that are like a half-set jello consistency and contain anywhere from 20-42g of protein in about 3 ounces are made primarily from collagen (with justg a tiny bit of whey protein added in).  The collagen does not have all the amino acids that your body needs in order to be able to absorb the protein, so it is basically useless to you.  Evidence for this (limited to the sources that are available to everyone on the ingternet) are below.

First, however, please note that there is a newer protein bullet where they are claiming that it is not collagen protein (they call it some kind of peptide instead) and that is has all of the essential amino acids.  The manufacturers refuse to respond to requests for PDCAAS or amino acid info on their product, however, so until I see it, I will not believe it.  I think they are using a marketing loophole since the small amount of whey protein in it does have all of the amino acids (but that does not make up for what the much larger percentage of collagen protein does NOT have).

Ok, the facts:

First of all, Actinase is simply the registered name given to a particular blend of protein, and it is the manufacturer of the products that use it who are claiming that it is a complete protein, but by nature collagen does NOT have all 9 essential amino acids and has a pathetic PDCAAS score of 0.08 (and just because the whey forms of protein that are mixed with it have all 9 amino acids does not raise the PDCAAS score (bioavailability) of the product as a whole). 

As far as "evidence" for the poor bioavailability of collagen protein:
     The PDCAAS score is used by the World Health Organization (and now the US FDA)  to rate the bioavailability and amino acid content of protein sources.  The PDCAAS score for collagen protein bioavailability is .08  vs. 1 for whey (on a scale of 0 -1, although occasionally the numbers will be multuplied by 100 and a 0-100 scale utiulized ). 
     See
www.o-wm.com/content/understanding-protein-digestibility-corrected-amino-acid-score-pdcaas (which has references at the bottom) and Andrea's blog  (wlsvitagarten.com/2010/01/15/protein-basics/) for basic information on protein and PDCAAS scores.  At one point in time, when I was researching this, I was able to get a copy of the Schaafsma article used in that first link.  I will look to see if I still have it (so perhaps I can scan it).
     See www.bariatricadvantage.com/page/blog for a short chart of the protein content and PDCAAS score for common protein sources.
     The score of collagen protein can be verified in the book Exercise & Sport Nutrition: Principles, Promises, Science, & Recommendations byRichard Kreider (PhD, FACSM, FISSN)
books.google.com/books and at various internet resources such as  thsi one where they sent samples of the bullets to be independently tested when the manufacturers would not give out then information:band2gether.net/showthread.php.
     Some manufacturers have, however, even admitted in e-mail correspondence that the PDCAAS score for their product is next to nothing (see www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4390669/PDCAA-score-for-Body- Fortress-Protein-Shots/  for the email response from the Body Fortress folks).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

gingerlarsen
on 12/22/11 8:22 am - plano, TX
Ive tried those protein shots and they are gross (ugh).  Thanks for all your hard research.  I think your post are always informative and positive.  Ginger
poet_kelly
on 12/22/11 12:44 pm - OH
They are gross 'cause they are made from boiling the skin and hooves of horses, cows and pigs.  Really.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hlacy
on 12/22/11 1:33 pm - Chandler, AZ
And people scoff when I think about becoming a vegetarian again!! LOL
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Paul C.
on 12/23/11 5:58 am - Cumming, GA
As a proud member of PETA

People
Eating
Tastey
Animals

I much prefer the muscle tissue that their toe nails.

Sorry couldn't resist
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Cherylkas
on 12/22/11 8:44 am - PA
 Lora thanks for posting this. I always cringe when i see people saying that they are using those things...

oh and collegen comes from boiling animal skin and bones...YUM
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/11 10:30 am
 Very informative post, thank you so much. I am always looking for ways to get my protein quickly. 
I will certainly use caution where these are concerned. 

Thanks Again

Pam
seattledeb
on 12/22/11 1:41 pm
 They are expensive, worthless, and taste like crap.

Hillery82211
on 12/22/11 9:17 pm - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
Thanks for posting this!

I was actually getting ready to find that thread and write a response because I actually sat up last night looking for studies related to Actinase and all I found were advertisement articles that were all written by the same person (Jim Duffy I believe) that quoted a bunch of "studies" but then didn't include a bibliography so that you could actually FIND and READ these studies.  The few articles I DID find by Mr Duffy that included references included some dismal articles on WebMD and from various lobbing groups (The Vegetarian Resource Group) or the studies couldn't be found period...including this Ohiohealth study the poster mentioned. 

As a scientist, it always burns by biscuits when companies try to use pseudo-science to make their product "sound" better than it really is. 
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
(deactivated member)
on 12/23/11 1:17 am
Miss Lora, thank you for taking the time to post the hard facts so that the doubters out there can indeed see that those collagen shots are not worth the money spent on them.

I think it's sad that some say their programs recommended those shots... while I can understand someone wanting to trust their bariatric program, these facts don't lie.  Just more reason to take everything with a grain of salt and be your own best advocate.

Happy Holidays!

tori
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 263 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?