You CAN heat protein powder beyond 130 degrees

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/8/12 2:06 am - OH
Some protein powders (Unjury, for example) warn you not to heat it above 130 degrees because it will cause clumping.  You can, however, heat it to a significantly higher temperature if you do it right.  I like unflavored protein powder in tomato soup and chocolate or vanilla in my morning SF hot chocolate, and I like both of them almost too hot to drink.

Heat the item that the powder will be mixed into until it is warm but not hot.  Mix in the protein powder, and then heat, stirring occasionally.  (I stir about every 20-30 seconds in my microwave.).

For many items, it also works if you mix the protein powder with a few tablespoons of liquid and then add it to the item before heating, but I prefer the method above because with some items and some protein powders, the powder mixes better if it is mixed into something warm rather than cold. It will still work best if you stir it periodically.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 1/8/12 4:53 am - OH
The way I do it is to mix the protein powder with a couple ounces room temp liquid until it forms a smooth paste and then stir that paste into my hot drink.  Apparently there are several methods and it might be that some methods work better with some brands of protein and some work better with others.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/8/12 5:15 am, edited 1/7/12 5:16 pm - OH
Yes. I found that the second method did not work as well with some of the protein powders I had way back when... they seemed to dissolve better in either warm or cold liquid (and I have no clue WHY). With the Unjury it doesn't matter. I just use the first method because then I don't have to dirty a second container, LOL.

Lora

BWB
on 1/8/12 7:41 am
 My favorite method is to mix the Unjury with skimmed milk the night before and it gets completely dissolved before I use it the next morning.  After my mug of milk is hot I add the Unjury milk and may quickly reheat but not boil it.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/8/12 10:54 pm - OH
p.s.  I am home this morning, so I checked the temp of my morning protein hot chocolate.  It was my typical almost-too-hot-to-even-sip temperature and it registered at almost 155 degrees... 

Lora

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 342 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 152 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 264 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?