Vitamin question for Kelly.

xtine
on 1/9/12 1:10 pm - San Jose, CA
Hey Kelly, I am curious.. is it safe for me to wait until my 4 month bloodwork to start D3 if needed?

I am only taking two centrum chewables a day, 3 calcets (spaced out and away from my iron), 54mg of iron, 1 biotin 5000mcg all daily and then 1-2500 b12 a week.

Any suggestions for me? I would hate to find out I am doing it all wrong. LOL.

Thanks in advance!

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

poet_kelly
on 1/9/12 1:50 pm - OH
What you're doing right now is fine.

But why do you want to wait that long to start D3?  Just because you're not sure of your level?  Can you get that lab done sooner?  Because I can promise you that you need some D3, I just can't tell you how much without knowing your current vitamin D level.

As far as if it's safe to wait, well, you won't die.You'll get sick more easily and might be tired or depressed and you won't be absorbing all the calcium you take.  I guess it depends on your definition of safe.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

xtine
on 1/9/12 1:53 pm - San Jose, CA
I could ask my doc or surgeon to do my bloodwork sooner. The only reason I haven;t started yet is because I don't know how much I would need to take. Is there a good starting point dose? Thanks so much for the information. I don't want to be deficient in anything so I would like to start now.

poet_kelly
on 1/9/12 1:57 pm - OH
I would say 5000 IU a day, and I'll tell you why I say that.  I talk to lots of people about their labs and vitamins and all that stuff, and I have never known one to keep their D level above 80 (where we need it to be) on less than 5000 IU a day.  I'm talking about RNY folks, not "normal" folks.  Most need twice that much (or even more) but since you don't know your level, I would start there.  Then increase if necessary whenever you do get your blood work done.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

xtine
on 1/9/12 2:00 pm - San Jose, CA
 Ok thank you. I will look for one to take. Again, I truly appreciate your help! 

time4it
on 1/10/12 4:33 am
I am just on Day 20 but my doc just has me on 2 centrum chewables a day and 2 Pepcid (for calcium) so far. Also on 5000 mg of B12 weekly. Do I need to be doing more this early? What about Biotin?

poet_kelly
on 1/10/12 4:39 am - OH
Pepcid has calcium carbonate, which we can't absorb.  So right now you are getting no calcium.  We need calcium CITRATE, as recommended by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.

You probably need more iron than what's in your Centrum.  Biotin is something you can take if you want but you don't need to.  You probably do need D3, so if you haven't had your vitamin D level checked, do that to see if you need some.

time4it
on 1/10/12 5:00 am
Thanks so much! I called the doc and he still says until 6 weeks keep on the Pepcid...THEN move to the calcium citrate......uhhhhhh. So confusing. Thanks so much for letting me know!!!

Now can you tell me how to change that dang ticker thing to show how much wt lost???

Keeves
on 1/10/12 5:27 am - Elizabeth, NJ
To change the ticker: Go to the top of the screen, where it says "tools", then "body tracker". Type in your current weight, press Enter, and then press F5 (at the top of a Windows keyboard). That's it!

time4it
on 1/10/12 5:44 am
Thanks so much!! That was driving me crazy! I couldn't get it to show amount lost and by golly....IT BETTER! lol! Thank you!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 145 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 263 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?