OT: Activities for insomniacs?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/20/12 2:45 pm - OH
Thanks to some work stress and an incident that caused a flare-up of my PTSD, I have mot been sleeping more than afte hours any night the past week. Tonight I am still not sleeping despite a combination of Ativan, Tramadol (just for knee pain, not for anything sleep related), and Lunesta. I fall asleep for 2 or 3 hours and then am awake again.  The problem is that I am like a zombie... difficult to focus my brain enough to read or do anything mentally demanding (it takes me forever to type out responses here, especially with Apple's annoying auto-correct, LOL!) and I am too physically clumsy to do anything useful like cleaning house.

200 cable channels and not a stinking thing worth watching at 2am... so I end up playing solitaire or something else on my iPad, or re-watching reruns I have recorded on the DVR.  Just listening to music gets boring and just makes me more frustrated that I am not sleeping.

Suggestions?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

vanBee
on 1/20/12 3:33 pm - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 07/25/12
what does OT stand for?
MultiMom
on 1/20/12 6:05 pm - NH
 OT means off topic, not weight loss surgery related. Sometimes we just have to reach out with a question or comment that is just plain off topic :)

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

kidnamedtoad
on 1/20/12 5:57 pm
I am sorry you are experiencing insomnia.  It must be maddening to be so tired and not able to sleep.  I tend to surf the web when I'm up late and can't sleep. That's how I found this site.  Ya need someone to take you out for a ride so you can get sleepy in the car.  Hang in there!

Toad         Starting weight: 249 Day of surgery wt: 217  GW: 109 CW 149                                                                    
MultiMom
on 1/20/12 6:09 pm - NH
I NEED my Netflix on my iPad for times like these. My sleep problems are pain related. There is nothing like an episode (or 2 or 3) of Law & Order SVU to get me through. I don't even need ear buds since I sleep alone 

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/21/12 12:14 am - OH
LOL.  I have been watching NCIS re-runs.  No ear buds required here, either... sigh.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Suite1
on 1/20/12 7:39 pm - Dayton, OH
It's 6:40 AM and I've been awake since 3:30 AM.  About 4:45 it dawned on me that after not having caffeine for nearly 18 months, maybe Cafe Patron isn't a great choice for a night cap!  Doh!    Have you tried meditation CDs?  Sometimes that helps. 

I didn't have my ear buds nearby but since I just bought a new toy - the EmWave by HeartMath, I thought I would come down and set it up on my PC.  Haven't gotten there yet, decided to check in here for a bit since I'm not around much.

Sorry to hear about the PTSD episode & stress, hope things get better for you and you can make up for some lost sleep since it's a weekend.  
HW:  280  SW:  262.5  CW:  150
  GOAL!!!!   One week shy of my surgiversary!

LBL, TT, BA on 3/2/12 - Dr William Rigano  

S. abrams
on 1/20/12 7:56 pm
i've been there.....instead of midnight eating i've tried other venues like having a sound machine next to me on a timer (homedics has a good one) on top of a good puzzle book like sudoku or jumble. and if i still cant sleep i'll put on some devotional songs on youtube, leave the computer on battery and soothe myself to relax (and not force myself to sleep thinking i HAVE to get rest. i dont need the added pressure). hang in there. :)

seattledeb
on 1/20/12 8:37 pm
order groceries online
read
watch DVR tv (no commercials and it's stuff that interest me)
play with my dog
cook weird things
read OH
talk to other night owls

nfarris79
on 1/20/12 9:04 pm - Germantown, MD
 Lora, I'm really sorry you're having a PTSD flare and hope things start settling down in your mind soon.

Well, with those meds, activities involving fine motor skills are out so..... How about walking around your home? That would burn calories. Playing with your dog? Doing yoga? Paint your toenails?

I used to do business work when I had insomnia. I would apply to insurance panels, revise paperwork, improve my website...... mainly because it was worry about starting a private practice that was making me insomniac in the first place, so those activities helped me do something with the anxiety. Of course, that was before I discovered Ambien!

- Nicole

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 338 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 104 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?