pre-surgery life long questions

Relic_Goddess
on 3/6/12 1:43 am - Macon, GA
RNY on 03/13/12
So, as I sit here and ponder my surgery, I can feel my brain starting to twirl and buzz aplenty with last minute questions:

How do I make sure I stay on track?

How do I make sure my hair doesn't come flying out of my head?

How will I handle resteraunts?

What will my family say when I lose the weight?

How will I handle food heavy polish holidays?

I know I have the motivation, It's simply a matter of the unknown that's scary. I have no fear of the surgery. I've waitied seven years to get to this point. I have my cookbook and my scale to get me through home cooking.  I don't anticipate going out a lot, but I do anticipate having friends wanting to gather for social eating. I went thought the nutrition class and feel mostly prepared for a lifetime of happiness with new food choices, I just am unsure of social cir****tances. Anyone with advice would make my day. :)
InkdSpEdTchr
on 3/6/12 3:32 am
How do I make sure I stay on track? Track every bit that goes in your mouth, for at least the first year! Food logging will help keep you accountable! Also exercise, it will help keep your motivation up for eating right- and it can be fun!!

How do I make sure my hair doesn't come flying out of my head? Protein, the more you get, the less your hair will fall out. It will thin out, but if you keep your protein up- it will come back.

How will I handle restaurants? Look at menus ahead of time, ask for exactly what you want. I can eat at 99% of the places out there, everyone has grilled chicken breast and veggies! Early on I just ordered soup, now I eat pretty much like a normal person.

What will my family say when I lose the weight? Hopefully they will say, yeah I love how active and full of life you are! Maybe they will even say, you are an inspiration...

How will I handle food heavy polish holidays? Know ahead of time, what you can and cannot eat. If you must indulge, then have a bite and give the rest to the kids/dog/spouse etc...

You can absolutely live a normal life after surgery, it's not a food prison. I love to eat, I go out all the time, and I enjoy my little plates of food- and all the leftovers!!

Good Luck,
:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Relic_Goddess
on 3/6/12 4:32 am - Macon, GA
RNY on 03/13/12
 I already am a member of  my fitness pal, I'm just afraid of portions when I go out during these first few months, I don't want to overeat, and I feel like i might need a GB buddy to come out with me the first few times, you know to help take the fear out.

I was told 60-80 grams of protein a day, but should I start with that this week? (my surgery is next tuesday the 13th) to minimize the hair loss? Anyone have good protein brands? I heard that isopure is about the highest amount you can get in one sitting (50 grams) is that true? I still have a bunch of Unjury left, I'm not really a fan of the strawberry one, but I guess it would be better with some ice. :D

In terms of my family, it's really hard to know what I can and can not eat. No one likes to disclose ingrediants, such a hush hush community I swear! After posting I think I will make the beet soup and cucumber salad myself, minus the heavy cream, sugar, and everything else that they usually put into them! atleast a seperate portion for me. 

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I have quite a bit of information before hand but I wanted to make sure I don't mess this up. I'm tired of the joint pain and 7 medications a day. 

One last thing, I realize that if they bring me a huge plate of soup that I'm not going to eat it all, but is there a way to order so they understand that i just would like some soup without anything in it (atleast for the first month or so) I don't think breaking down into my life story would be appropriate, so what phrases do people usually use when ordering the food bits?

InkdSpEdTchr
on 3/6/12 6:50 am
Do you have a manual from your surgeon? One that tells you what to eat, how much etc? If not, I can email you a really good detailed one.

You won't need anyone holding your hand at meals, you can do this! Just order a cup of soup and eat a bit of it, you won't be eating much anyway for a while so there isn't much to worry about.

As for protein, 80 would be a great number to get, but that's spaced throughout the whole day, you don't have to do it in one shot. I personally, love the About Time brand as it's all natural and tastes really yummy! You can buy samples from their website: 
www.tryabouttime.com

Learning to cook healthy food, has been really fun for me- I hope you enjoy it too. I know a few WLS'ers who love to take something un-healthy and then re-do it so that it is healthy, check out Nik's site for great recipes:
bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/ and Eggfaces blog too is awesome: theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Oh and you can usually just order chicken broth,chili or bean soup- just be upfront with the servers, tell them that you're recently out of surgery and need bland food- they'll just think you had your gallbladder out or something...

Good Luck,
:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/6/12 9:56 am - OH
 Getting in more protein will not decrease the amount of hair loss. NOT getting enough protein, however, will make the hair loss WORSE.  There is really nothing you can do to change how much hair you will lose other than getting the protein and vitamins so you don't make it worse.

I am not sure what you are asking about in terms of restaurants, but if you are asking how/what you will eat, you will eat the same things you will eat at home... Healthy high protein, low crab, reasonable fat choices like grilled chicken or fish, fresh veggies, etc..  Early out you can have some soup or refried beans or anything else that is on your surgeon's eating plan for whatever timeframe you are in.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

happy_baker
on 3/6/12 10:03 am, edited 3/5/12 10:04 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
If I sip it slowly enough, I could totally eat a big plate of soup. Liquids don't stay in my pouch, so as long as I pace myself, I can really throw down with some soup.

I wouldn't worry about every little thing. Most of this is going to become a LOT more clear and easier when you're actually in the situation. If you try to plan out how you're going to respond to every possible blip on the rader, you'll make yourself crazy. :)
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
poet_kelly
on 3/6/12 4:51 am - OH
How do you make sure you stay on track?  Well, scroll down a little bit and read the thread about tips for maintenance.  You can see how other people do it.

How do you make sure your hair doesn't fall out?  Unfortunately, you don't.  It's a common side effect of general anesthesia.  Make sure you take all your vitamins and get enough protein and you can minimize the hair loss.   It will grow back.

How will you handle restaurants?  Well, what I do is order something something I like that's reasonably good for me and take home my leftovers.  Last night I had a burrito bowl at Chipotle with a little brown rice, black beans, veggies, cheese and salsa.  Other places I get a big salad or maybe some soup.

I have no clue what your family will say when you lose weight.  Hopefully they say "Nice work" or something like that and then shut up about it.

How will you handle food heavy holidays?  What I do is make sure there will be something healthy but yummy there for me to eat and eat mostly that, then eat a few bites of whatever yummy not so healthy stuff I really want.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Relic_Goddess
on 3/6/12 4:59 am - Macon, GA
RNY on 03/13/12
 Thank you miss kelly for responding. My surgery is this tuesday, and I am just freaking out a bit. This is a really big step for me, and my parents are less than enthralled by my surgery. >.> None the less I am hoping that by the time the holidays roll around I will have lost enough weight and established a good pattern that I can eat a little bit and have a great time. :D 
happy_baker
on 3/6/12 9:59 am
RNY on 02/15/12
 God, that burrito bowl sounds amazing. 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Kim S.
on 3/6/12 5:18 am - Helena, AL
Perfectly normal before surgery!

How do I stay on track?  Be accountable to yourself and to others-come here often for support-track your food and follow the rules to the letter in year 1.  You must develop good habits that first year so you can rely on them in maintenance, when the REAL work begins!  Develop a good habit of regular exercise-good for the body and soul.

How do I make sure my hair doesn't come flying out of my head?  You don't.  You deal with it-get it cut shorter in layers.  It grows back.

How will I handle restaurants?  I ate out the 2nd week after surgery.  Mexican restaurant.  Ate black bean soup.  I eat out all the time.  As others stated, there is almost always something you can eat.  Get a to go box with the meal and remove what you cannot eat at the beginning and get it out of your site.  Always only order water to drink....since you can't drink when you eat, save the $ on a drink.  I always ge****er with lemon in a "to go" cup....so when my 30 minutes are up I can drink my drink and take it with me.

What will my family say when I lose weight?  Hopefully they will be proud of your hard work!

How will I handle heavy Polish holidays?  Girl, I am Cajun!  Every time we get together it is a food party!  You will learn to find what you can eat and only taste the things that are not 100% on your plan.  Your success is far more important that food....in time you'll be able to indulge in "not the best" things on occasion.

You will be fine-we are here for you!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 233 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views