4th month stall

westwoodbob
on 3/30/12 10:01 pm - Olympia, WA
Greetings,

I seem to have have hit a stall for the last 10 days. The fear is that this might be the bottom or that I might begin to gain again.

I am down 100# with 70 of that post surgery. I am eating 600-800 calories a day with 80-100 grams of protean. I use a bodybugg to measure calorie burn and average 2500-3000. From a pure math point of view this should result in a net loss of .5 pounds a day but it is not at this time.

The only change I have had is about two weeks ago I began exercise with weights to build up my muscle mass of my upper body.

I do have trouble getting my water in.

Help any suggestions?

sweet-tart2012
on 3/30/12 10:23 pm - TX
RNY on 02/16/12
Relax.  You're no where near finished.  Your body will do this periodically as you go along.  We malasorb the first 18 mos. and you are nowhere near there.  Look for the SEARCH button on the right hand side towards the top.  Maybe look up STALLS.  or 4 mo. stalls since we go thru this app. every 3 mos.  You should find alot on the topic that should help you.  (Sorry, not quite as far along as you, so cannot help you more.)      Best wishes                                                                   

Kady
on 3/30/12 10:43 pm - Lancaster County, PA
Hi

You do not mention how many months post-op you are unless it is the title of your post-I'll assume 4 months post-op.  You really need to hydrate yourself best you can or your body will hang on to any water you take in, weight training and exercise will increase your calorie needs, so make sure you are taking in the full 800 calories on those days.  A 10 day stall isn't anything to panic over though, just keep doing what you're doing and the scale will go down.  I have gone through 3 stalls and I am only 6 months post-op.  It happens and is normal :-)

Hang in there and good luck!

BWB
on 3/31/12 12:11 am
I'm also post op for 6 months and have had long stalls. It takes a while for body building exercise to have results. Not everyones body reacts the same but for me, I increased my calories a little, and worked harder to drink 64 oz daily, follow a very low carb diet, and upped my weight levels on the gym weight machines. In addition to the hour at the gym I put in 3 to 5 hours working in the garden. It has been paying off with inches off and pounds moving down the scale.

I can't tell someone else what will work but you need to experiment and not lose sight of your goal. Your gym workout will get results.

Jennifer M.
on 3/31/12 12:45 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 10 days does not a stall make!  You'll see the scale move soon!  Just out of curiosity, how do you know what your metabolic rate is?  

westwoodbob
on 3/31/12 1:46 am - Olympia, WA
I use a bodybugg from 24 hour fitness. It measures my calorie burn each day

Jennifer M.
on 3/31/12 2:51 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 My point is that everyone burns calories at different rates.  A computer program can estimate your caloric burn based on average experience, but your body may be different.   For example, insulin resistant people lose weight slowly because their body is super efficient and burn calories at a very slow rate.  So, it is entirely possible for your body to expend fewer calories, even though an average person might be experiencing a 2500 caloric deficit.  

SImilarly, it is entirely possible that your body is holding onto water to protect itself from losing weight too rapidly.   

There is good news for true stalls (four weeks or longer).  You can change up your metabolic rate by drastically reducing your carb intake (think 30 or fewer carb grams per day).   The lower carb intake will increase your metabolism AND act as a diuretic (carb intake is associated with water retention).  

Some people find that it helps to increase caloric intake, but this doesn't work if you increase carb intake.  Some people find that increasing and decreasing caloric intake and exercise amounts helps.  This last can make your body crazy.

Good luck.   

Dee.spunk
on 3/31/12 1:28 am, edited 3/31/12 1:29 am - Sacramento, CA
Sorry, I don't have any suggestions.
I'm 4 months out too and have hit a stall. I have been 186 the whole month of march and have lost nothing. I eat 2 oz of protien for breakfast, lunch and dinner, usually chicken or roast beef, and get my 64+ oz of water in. I don't eat carbs, like crackers, but I will eat mini bell peppers, like 4 a day, or I'll have a piece of beef jerky, like an 1/4 of an ounce. I exercise daily, about 30-60 minutes, depending on my schedule.

I'd like to know what else I can do too. I exercise, I lost a significant amount before my surgery in 4 months, and now it seems like I lost more then than now.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Lisa R.
on 3/31/12 2:00 am - CA
 EAT MORE!  EAT MUCH MORE!  

600-800 calories a day and working out!  You are starving.  I weighed 147 pounds on my scale this morning and I eat 1500 calories a day, and I do not work out.  If I eat less then that, I put weight on.

You have to eat more.  This doesn't mean bad, just more.  

10 days is not a stall, btw, try 4 months of no weight loss.  That is a stall.  Since Dec I have lost about 3 pounds and I usually go up and down with in a 5 pound range.  You will have to get accustom to this if you are going to make this journey with out going crazy.  

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
christinalee
on 3/31/12 2:57 am, edited 3/31/12 2:59 am - At Home in, NH
Suggestions, I've got a few. Start getting your water in. Remember it doesn't have to be water, it can be any form of liquid...I find that when I work out, I can handle Poweraide Zero really well. Crystal Light, SF Kool-Aid. Drink up! With working out, you have to really, really, really be aware and concentrate on keeping yourself hydrated. So drink up

You may want to up the protein a bit higher too if you are looking to build muscle mass.

You need to eat more calories. I wear a BodyMedia device too, and yes, if you use pure math only, sure you could make yourself lose 6-8 pounds a week, mathmatically. But our bodies don't work that way (well not unless we go on Biggest Loser, have a personal trainer, personal health coaches, a TV production crew and work out 6-12 hours a day). So up your calories! I'm not a big proponent of starvation mode theory. Because honestly if you starve your body long enough you will lose weight, but you'll also lose your health. Imagine anorexic individuals and concentration camp survivors...you get the picture, right. So eat more...you don't have to go crazy but I'd shoot for at least 1200 to 1400 calories a day, especially if you are a man and are four months out and losing weight.

Stop rushing to goal is my next suggestion. This is a lifetime journey Bob. When you get to goal you've still got to stay on the journey; you can't say okay now it's over I'm going to go back to my life as it was before (I'm not saying that's what I think you are thinking, but you do seem really desirous to be at goal). So why not stop rushing to get there, enjoy the journey, learn and listen to how your body needs to be fed and exercised and develop those skills to keep doing this for a lifetime.

I think you have done wonderfully well so far. I'm sure it's hard not to want it to be over and to be on with your regular life; but THIS journey (the weight loss, weight maintenance and mental prowess to do all of that) is your life now I'd enjoy the ride, find out what balance of calories, exercise and mental health problem solving skills will invoke and create the healthiest you for your lifetime and your long-lasting health.

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 339 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 249 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 9 replies · 47 views