Tingly thighs

JillieJill
on 4/16/12 9:30 am - NJ
Is anyone experiencing the numbing/burning feeling in their thighs?   How are you dealing with it?  Does anything help it go away?
nfarris79
on 4/16/12 9:53 am - Germantown, MD
 Never had a burning feeling - - that almost sounds more like neuropathy - - but often feel a kinda numb feeling in areas of excess skin. Just feels kinda weird & only aware of it when water or wind is making the area flap....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

ready_to_shed_it
on 4/16/12 10:04 am

Hi Jill,

I remember you posting something about this a while ago.

I had and still have it. While the "pins and needles" pain will subside, my thighs are still numb and will be until I lose more weight. My surgeon and family doctor both said there is nothing I can do for it.

It is called meralgia paraesthetica if you want to research it further.

Lisi

Lilyvalley
on 4/16/12 10:36 am - CT
 I had that when I picked up my exercise a bit.  I went to a chiropractor/sports medicine guy and it went away after a few weeks.  I would call your surgeon though, b/c it could also be an indicator of low B1. I
had my surgeon check those first.

lesserman
on 4/16/12 11:03 am - Chicago, IL
Well, the title of your post will certainly guarantee that it gets read...

I've not felt what what you describe in my thighs, but being Type II I have, on a handful of occasions felt the pins and needles sensation in my extremities (finger tips, toes, heels)...but I'm pretty sure those are symptoms of neuropathy...

I've not had an "episode" in months, that I can recall.

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

BigJohnny09
on 4/16/12 5:12 pm
RNY on 04/10/12
I had surgery on the 10th, and the tingling just started today. It comes and goes, but from asking my nurse, it appears it can happen but will eventually phase out.

rbb825
on 4/16/12 5:30 pm - Suffern, NY
It's most likely 'meralgia paraesthetica'. It's caused by pressure on the Lateral Cutaneous Nerve of the Thigh (that's it's name), where it passes through a narrow space at the top of the leg. It tends to happen in overweight people, when the weight of the abdomen presses down on the pelvis and compresses the inguinal ligament. It is generally benign, but it does indicate that you need to take care of your general health. Unfortunately that's too big a subject for now, but suffice to say I do not agree with most weight loss advice available today.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 362 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 271 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 195 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 123 views
Recent Topics