Does insurance cover revision from band to bypass??

AmberF
on 6/13/12 10:50 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
Hello I am 24 years old and going on 3 years with the lapband. I am considering talking to my surgeon about a revision. I unfortunately did not to alot of research when I chose the band. Before I decided to under go another surgery I want to make sure I get alot of information. But first Im just wondering if it will even be possible with the insurace.

Thanks for any help
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/13/12 10:53 am - OH
Some insurance policies do (IF you meet their medical necessity criteria) but some do not.  You need to find out exactly what YOURS covers.  (Also, just because someone else with the same insurance carrier has certain coverage does not mean your individual plan from that same carrier will have the same coverage, so you really needd to call them or find a copy of the coverage bulletin for your plan.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Dave Chambers
on 6/13/12 11:24 am - Mira Loma, CA
Some insurance companies only authorize one wt loss surgery. Only exception would be IF there was a medical reason by you needed your band removed.  One woman in one of support groups had a band to RNY revision, as her band had slipped, and my surgeon's data of band slippage allowed her insurance to pay for the revision.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

TamaraL
on 6/13/12 11:49 am

Amber,

First go to your insurance web site and find out what the insurance covers.  Some insurances only cover 1 surgery per lifetime.

I had severe heartburn and only lost like 30% of the weight i needed to lose

My insurance did pay for it but i did have to meet criteria and go back thru some of the classes and see the psychologist for several sessions.

Susiekay
on 6/13/12 11:57 am
RNY on 04/24/12
Mine did....I had a  lap band 4 years ago and lost 70 lbs.  Never had a slip or anything major just really bad GERD.  Regained 15 lbs due to having to have fluid taken out for the GERD.  I had revision from band to RYN April 24th, 2012.  Have lost 22 lbs so far. 

mjst220
on 6/13/12 12:30 pm
it depends on your insurance and how long you have had the band. My insurance is BCBS of Ga and they do cover it if you have been compliant and had the band for 2 yrs with failing results. I was told that some only cover one bariatric surgery per lifetime. Be sure to check and re-check with insurance. Your surgeon should be able to find out some information for you also. I had my revision nov 2011 after 3 years with the band, insurance covered mine completely.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 361 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 271 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 195 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 123 views
Recent Topics