traveling

mocuevas
on 1/13/13 10:11 am - TX

Hi! I am new to the forum and have my surgery scheduled for Jan 21st.

I'm starting to get really anxious about it and I have a question.

In late Feb I am schedule to travel for work to Orlando for a conference. Will that be too soon to be staying in a hotel and eating in restaurants for all meals? How about the energy level 4 weeks out? DO I need to be worried about it?

I appreciate any thoughts, wisdom and advice.

Thanks, smiles, Mo

Smiles, Mo

HW: 311 SW: 270 CW: 192

MrsLitch
on 1/13/13 10:15 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I  had to go out of town for a meeting at about 1 mo out. It wasn't as far as you but I had to drive 2.5 hours and stay in a hotel. I just took my protein powder in case I couldn't find anything. I'm glad I did. You can always run to the store and get something like yogurt or something if you have a fridge in your room.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

mocuevas
on 1/13/13 10:20 am - TX

Those are great ideas.  I guess my overall anxiety about the surgery and all is making me unable to think through how I will handle the trip.  I think it will be fine, just the "jitters..."

Smiles, Mo

Smiles, Mo

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/13/13 10:33 am - OH

That depends mostly on what your surgeon's post-op eating plan calls for at 4-5 weeks out.  Some people are still only on liquids at that point.  Find out if the hotel room will have a small refrigerator in it, and take your own food supplies.  Even if it doesn't have a refrigerator, you can still take things like protein powder and a blender bottle, tuna lunch kits (that have a cup and the tuna and a small packet of low fat mayo), SF pudding cups (that you can add protein powder to), etc.

Everyone reacts to surgery differently, but you will likely still tire easily at that point and may need to plan to spend the bulk of the evenings resting up for the next day.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

mocuevas
on 1/13/13 10:05 pm - TX

Thanks, great ideas!  I appreciate it!

Smiles, Mo

happygrandma
on 1/13/13 11:33 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I was planning a trip this week, four weeks from surgery and I canceled it.  I think I would have gone if it hadn't called for plane changes in two large airports.  I decided I just didn't have the stamina.

But I'm writing to tell you to contact the conference people.  I did and they were great.  My hotel didn't have in room refrigerators but they said they would request one for me.  They also sent me the menus for all the meals they were providing - there wasn't any sense in anyone paying for a meal I couldn't eat.  I told them that I'd probably only do breakfast and they told me to go ahead and take milk or yogurt or anything I could use throughout the day.  Between that and the protein powder I didn't figure I would starve in a couple of days.

mocuevas
on 1/13/13 10:06 pm - TX

Great idea contacting the conference folks.  I hadn't thought of that at all, and they would know what they are planning, right? Thanks!

Smiles, Mo

Joyceebaby
on 1/13/13 9:42 pm
RNY on 11/29/12

I traveled four weeks out, after open RNY.  I felt pretty good.  The trip was to visit family over the holidays, so I was able to rest as much as needed.  

Definitely get a fridge and a microwave.  If you rent a car, go to the store right away and get supplies.  It may be a little difficult, but it can be done.

mocuevas
on 1/13/13 10:07 pm - TX

I will have to find out about the fridge and microwave... those sound important.  Thanks for your help!

Smiles, Mo

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 521 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 528 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 355 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 387 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?