pre-op liquid diet - sweet overload!

aliceindietland
on 5/27/13 2:26 am
RNY on 06/11/13

So I'm sitting into half a day on my pre-op mostly-liquid diet and am wondering how I'm going to make it through two weeks - not because of the hunger but because everything on it is SWEET.  I am just not a huge sweet person, and after having had a light yogurt and a SF pudding cup, I'm just like, ugh nothing else sweet please!  The ONLY thing that's not sweet on my entire diet is chicken broth.  The rest is either fruit-based or overtly sweet like the protein shakes and pudding.

Anyone else have this problem?  I feel like this is even worse than it's going to be after surgery... at least then I can have soup, right?  I feel like I need to stock up on chicken broth because I'm going to be drinking a LOT of it for the next two weeks.

"The first thing I've got to do," said Alice to herself, as she wandered about in the wood, "is to grow to my right size again..." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: http://therightsize.wordpress.com   Twitter: @therightsize  HW: 365  SW: 346 CW: 254

ShadowHR
on 5/27/13 2:48 am - WI
RNY on 04/04/13

I recommend stocking up on broth as after surgery everything tasted even sweeter to me and I could not stomach the sf pudding yogurts I ate before surgery.  

Good news, this too shall pass.

susan

Surgery Weight 245

poet_kelly
on 5/27/13 3:12 am - OH

Put unflavored protein powder in your chicken broth or other clear broths.  Or try the chicken soup protein mix from Unjury.  Try mixing protein powder, flavored or unflavored, in decaf coffee, hot or iced.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AR_Queen
on 5/27/13 3:25 am
RNY on 05/29/13

I'm with you!  My surgery is Wednesday, so a day and 1/2 to go, and I am sick of this diet!  Today is really the first day it has bothered me.  Earlier I felt like if I had to drink one more shake I would puke, but I got up and did some housework, so its better now.  I ate my plain salad for lunch and now I'm drinking a shake :/

PetHairMagnet
on 5/27/13 5:46 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I did a lot of butternut squash soup, tomato soup and mushroom broth in addition to the chicken stock on mine. All those were allowed on my liquid diet.

Try plain yogurt and if that is just toooo tart for you (I personally love it) then you can mix it 50/50 with a sweet yogurt. With Greek yogurt you will get a lot of protein which is a plus!

I was on mine for 22 days and am not a sweet person, so I had to go with the savory at least 75% of the time.

aliceindietland
on 5/27/13 5:48 am
RNY on 06/11/13

I would love to do soup!

I think I am going to call the dietician tomorrow and ask if there's anything that can be swapped.  Even just a tomato soup once a day in place of something else would be awesome.

"The first thing I've got to do," said Alice to herself, as she wandered about in the wood, "is to grow to my right size again..." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: http://therightsize.wordpress.com   Twitter: @therightsize  HW: 365  SW: 346 CW: 254

stephstephens77
on 5/27/13 6:30 am

Today is my last day of this diet...can i get an AMEN!?!

I was happy about yogurt and pudding to be honest--but one thing that I have been doing for lunch and dinner is a cream soup ( i love cream of broccoli personally) strained and i used a can of low sodium chicken broth instead of water.  it's filling, it's really good and you can switch up the various cream soups.

good luck!  you will survive, i promise!  it's hard, but it's SO TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/27/13 6:36 am - OH

Syntrax makes a sour apple protein powder and the chicken sop protein powder from Unjury is pretty good (salty, though).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mph05mph06
on 5/27/13 10:22 am
I'm jealous! All I get on my 2week diet is four protein shakes, broth and sugar free liquid... Including sf jello. 6more days for me. I'm sorry your having trouble with sweet things. Atkins shakes don't seem as sweet to me.
Maureen_R
on 5/27/13 12:51 pm - Canada

You can try adding something like decaf coffee crystals to the protein shakes, it takes away a lot of the sweet

Surgery February 15, 2013 with Dr Gmora at St.Joe's in Hamilton (includes 98 lbs lost before surgery)

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 524 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 532 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 390 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 90 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?