Stopped loosing weight

mmartinez1021
on 6/11/13 12:30 pm

I had my surgery April 10, 2012.  I was weighing 350. I weigh 240 I have been t this weight for more than 6 months.  I feel really depressed like I failed.  Can some tell me what how to start loosing weight again.  I feel like I can eat anything.

poet_kelly
on 6/11/13 12:38 pm, edited 6/11/13 12:38 pm - OH

Well, you probably need to eat less and/or exercise more.  It's hard to give specific suggestions without knowing what you're doing now.  How many calories do you eat in an average day?  How active are you?

What did your surgeon suggest at your one year follow up?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/11/13 12:47 pm - OH

You are just a little over a year out, so you can still take advantage of having some caloric malabsorption (but that is fading fast).  You need to go back to basics of eating a high-protein, low carb, limited portion diet.  many of us can eat almost anything without getting sick.  That doesn't mean that you SHOULD eat everything, though, especially if you want to continue to lose.  If you stopped losing 6 months ago, you need to take a good look at what (and how much) you are eating, because you should not have quit losing so soon.  If you can give us some idea of what you are eating on a daily basis, we can suggest changes that might help you start losing again.

The bottom line is that -- just as was the case before the surgery -- you have to eat fewer calories than you burn on a daily basis.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

A_new_beginning
on 6/11/13 1:42 pm, edited 6/11/13 1:42 pm - MD
RNY on 08/29/13

"One of our Registered Dietitians shared this note about a conversation she had with one of our auto ship customers.

------------------

Regrettably, her surgeon told her to stop using the protein shakes and switch to "solid foods". He said it was adding calories.

I believe this is when patients stop losing, or worse —start gaining weight— it’s when they switch away from UNJURY switch to “solid” foods.

When they don't use UNJURY then they get hungry. Then they start looking for other foods to keep them feeling as full as UNJURY. As a result, they take in more calories.

I explained how protein is best for satiety -- not being hungry -- and how protein is key to weight loss and weight maintenance.

She said an inner voice had
told her not to stop the shakes,
but she also wanted 
to listen to the surgeon.

The patient admitted that she was more hungry after reducing her UNJURY usage. She had started eating peanut butter for protein and snacking on raisin toast and dark chocolate.

She said an inner voice had told her not to stop the shakes, but she also wanted to listen to the surgeon.

The patient is returning to 3 servings of UNJURY per day, and is going to follow up with me. She was happy to have a second opinion from an RD. I am certain her weight loss will resume too.

I have heard similar stories from other patients and I think they would benefit in knowing that they are not alone, and that protein is not the cause of their weight gain.

Here are a few things to remember:

1. With or without weight loss surgery (WLS), protein is the foundation of weight loss success.

2. Surgeons are good at surgery, but some of them don't know enough about nutrition and weight loss. When a surgeon says, "get back on solid foods" -- if that means get off the protein shakes -- that is usually bad advice.1

3. Many WLS patients -- some say the majority -- of patients don't reach their goal, and even more experience weight regain. That’'s unfortunate, and unnecessary. Here's why:

We talk to many patients every day, and the ones who use UNJURY 3 to 4 times a day during weight loss, and 2 times a day for weight maintenance, are successful at reaching their weight goal and keeping the weight off."

------------------------------------

I got the above in an email today and just thought I'd share it with you.  I use Unjury protein and haven't even had the surgery yet (I only just got approved by my insurance). Anyway, I had to prove that I was serious about losing weight by keeping food logs and losing weight. The nutritionist told me to try drinking these shakes (especially in the evening when I start craving sweets).  Well, it worked!  I also lost 23 pounds over the last 9 months!  While this is not much, it was enough to convince the insurance company that I am serious about losing the weight and keeping it off.    

Honestly, after I have the surgery, I plan on continuing drinking these shakes in the evening to stave off cravings.  I'm telling you, the higher the protein intake, the more satiated your body will feel.  Of course, it, like the surgery, is only a tool.  You could override it and then gain weight anyway.     Oh, another thing I do is keep some Atkins Advantage bars in a desk drawer.  When I have to have a chocolate bar (or at least have the sensation of chewing and tasting the chocolate), this works.  They taste like Baby Ruth's to me.  I can only eat one though because the sugar alcohols upset my stomach if I eat more than that.  

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/11/13 2:33 pm - OH

Although I have been using Unjury protein powders for years, I have a REAL problem with this line of BS!  This is clearly intended to scare people into continuing to use their product rather than transition to real food.  It ****** me off when companies, surgeons, or nutritionists use scare tactics (about being hungry and overeating, about stretching your pouch, etc.). I have never heard of ANYONE who started gaining weight when they started eating regular food.  The scenario they present is ridiculous!  What person who is only a month or so out of surgery is going to start eating peanut butter, raisin toast, and dark chocolate?!? They will sell THREE times as much product if they can convince people to stay on three shakes a day indefinitely rather than one shake a day and real food and eventually just real food.  Do you REALLY want to follow their advice and drink two shakes a day for the rest of your life?!?  Most people want to eat real food like normal people, and I am appalled that Unjury would send out crap like this.

Moreover, what my surgeon and a number of other surgeons have found is that people who spend a long time on liquids and purées post-op actually have MORE trouble when they start eating food than if they start eating soft foods very shortly after surgery.  (My surgeon has patients start soft foods like scrambled eggs, cream of wheat, and cottage cheese on Day Three post-op and very few have trouble with nausea or vomiting.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

krp123
on 6/12/13 4:14 am - Arlington, VA
RNY on 04/25/13

AMEN! angry

Surgery: April 25th, 2013

spiritenchanted
on 6/12/13 5:34 am - OR

I am one of the "ones" that started gaining weight when I was able to start eating solid foods.  I had quite a time getting my body to let me eat anything but the consistancy of protein drinks.  Even though I tried to start them on schedule as per our surgeon & nutritionist's suggested timeline, it didn't work for me.  I had to be on protein drinks for quite some time.  However, even with the protein drinks, 100-120gr/day, I still had my "hunger" come back at about 6 months out.  I drink alot of water so we know it wasn't dehydration.  I was about 18 months out past my  surgery when I was finally able to start getting regular foods worked into my daily routine.  I was careful about what & how I ate, still had a horrible time with it but all in all, YES!!!  I started gaining weight shortly after getting myself on food instead of the protein drinks.  I'm still fighting gaining weight at 2yr 3mo out.  I'm trying to go back on the protein drinks but its so difficult now.  I still have alot of problems with food.  I'm also having trouble NOT gaining weight.  I cannot afford to gain weight and its killing me mentally.  I hate that I've gained weight.  I went thru hell with the surgery & for the first couple of months, especially the first month though.  It was an extremely painful & uncomfortable time for me and I promised after going thru it there was no way I'd gain weight and now I can't seem to stop it.  Yes I've contacted the doctors & nutritionists, followed their advice, nothing is helping yet.  I've upped my exercise, water intake, & daily activity in general.  It seems the only thing left is to go back on the protein drinks for a while.  Oh, and I've also tried different calorie levels as I've also had it suggested that perhaps I wasn't eating enough & my body went into starvation mode.  That one doesn't seem to fit either.  Sorry for the long post, this is my first on this site & I just had to reply to the statement about "never hearing ANYONE who started gaining weight when they started eating regular food."  Best of luck to all of us on this journey we are on.  It looks like this is a good site for support.

scarlettbegonias
on 6/11/13 3:21 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

That's just a straight up sales pitch.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

A_new_beginning
on 6/11/13 5:00 pm - MD
RNY on 08/29/13

Sorry it offended so many people here.   I was only  trying to share it with you as a gesture of goodwill.  I have no affiliation with the company except that I buy their products.  I like them and they work for me.  Personally, I don't mind having at least one shake a day for the rest of my life if it will stave off my sweet tooth.  For instance, tonight I was craving ice cream which is in our freezer (thanks hubby!).  Instead, I opted for 8 oz of ff milk and a scoop of chocolate Unjury.  Now I'm fine.  Cravings are gone.

Anyway, whatever...take it for what it's worth to you.

MyLady Heidi
on 6/11/13 7:30 pm

Wow someone drank the kool aid.  Never believe what a chemical company tells you.  Not one of them are honest. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 272 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 320 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 338 views