home from the hospital

aliceindietland
on 6/12/13 11:58 am
RNY on 06/11/13

Surgery was yesterday morning at 7am, and I was released tonight about 6pm.

I'm in quite a lot of pain still.  I know that a lot of it is gas pain, and so I've been walking, but oh god does it hurt to walk right now.  I have trouble straightening up because the worst of the pain is right across the center of my abdomen, and as soon as the gas pain starts it is really terrible, cutting right across my chest and up to my shoulders.

What I'm finding difficult right now is that there's all these different unfamiliar kinds of pain and I can't differentiate them.  Like, I just tried drinking some of a thin protein shake, and I felt like I was maybe geting some new pain, but it's hard to tell because everything hurts right now!

I know that this part is fleeting and will get better.  No regrets.  And I am really grateful that I haven't had issues with nausea yet.  The surgeon said that everything went well. 

"The first thing I've got to do," said Alice to herself, as she wandered about in the wood, "is to grow to my right size again..." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: http://therightsize.wordpress.com   Twitter: @therightsize  HW: 365  SW: 346 CW: 254

jensieck76
on 6/12/13 12:27 pm - TX
Wow they sent you home fast! I was in 3 days. Remember, walk walk walk. It hurts now been there done that but it does help get that gas out! And dont be a hero pain meds are your friend!! Welcome sister to the losers bench!!!

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13 laugh

CW 190!!! GW Anything under 200 was the icing on the cake...going for 170...lil more icing never hurt anybody!

Sarahakers11
on 6/12/13 12:52 pm - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with
It will get better. I tried to go without pain meds to quickly. Wish I would have stayed on the every four hours for a several days! Walk, sip, sleep. Today is 8 days post op and feeling better everyday. Gas pains lasted till about day 4 then disappeared! Good luck! Welcome! Hang in there!

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

brenda_m
on 6/12/13 1:14 pm - Renick, WV

Glad your doing so well that they sent you home. Im still pre-op but I hope everything gets better for you soon. This site really helps with all the posts by very encouraging people and what to expect post-op. You can do this!!!

Needanewbeginning
on 6/12/13 2:01 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Welcome to the bench! Each day gets better angry

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Member Services
on 6/12/13 2:40 pm - Irvine, CA

We are glad to hear that your surgery went well.  Please keep up the posting so that we can share your journey.

E R.
on 6/12/13 3:17 pm - Switzerland
I am 9 days post-op (done in Switzerland) I am amazed that you go home so quickly in the US. We stay for a minimum of 5 days. I think you are all heros.

I also had pains in different parts of the body. I luckily followed the forum, so I knew that the pain in the shoulder was gas pain. I still have stabbing pain on my left side, but it is less after my drain was taken out. I now have back pain, which I have to take pain medicine for.

It does however get better. Just keep walking. I also agree that you should take the pain medicine when you need it.

RNY:  4 June 2013

jrjohnsonrn
on 6/12/13 6:27 pm, edited 6/12/13 6:27 pm - IA

It is pretty common for Lap RNY's to go home the next day.  I work on a bariatric surgical unit at a major university hospital and almost everyone goes home around 5pm the day after surgery.  WALK, WALK, WALK--it will help tons.  Of course I say this as a nurse, not as someone that has experiences the surgery yet--but will soon on June 26th.

VintageChick
on 6/12/13 10:51 pm
I'm 4 weeks out and still find plenty of unfamiliar pain. Not the new post-op type, but as you heal just know that it's normal for twinges to hit seemingly random here and there. Also, your actual stomach pouch will certainly feel different. I couldn't, and still really can't tell any difference between empty and full other than when drinking. I measure in order to keep from overfilling my pouch. The first sip of morning fluid especially hits hard... Not nausea really, but not pleasant, either.
PetHairMagnet
on 6/13/13 2:09 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Don't forget to take your pain meds right on time, if you stay ahead of it, you'll be glad! :)

By tomorrow you'll be feeling better and each day beyond that, better and better!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 524 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 532 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 390 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 93 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?