Knee replacement after RNY?

okinawamama53
on 8/24/13 2:11 am

Has anyone had knee replacement since an RNY? If so, how was recovery?

Member Services
on 8/24/13 3:18 am - Irvine, CA

Here is a link to some threads on this topic:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=knee+r eplacement+after+rny&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw& cof=FORID%3A9

Hope you find some helpful information here.

okinawamama53
on 8/25/13 4:57 am

Thank you! This was extremely helpful!!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/24/13 4:39 am - OH

I had my worst knee replaced in March and am having the other one done in November.

I'm not really sure how to answer the question, though, since knee surgery recover is sort of a kind of surgery all its own and is very different from recovery from any type of abdominal surgery.  

Does it hurt (my biggest fear, after having had a horrible experience with arthroscopic knee surgery a number of years ago)?  Hell, yes!  Even with good pain meds for a couple of weeks (oxycodone in my case), it still hurts quite a bit for about a month.  The daily physical therapy exercises hurt to do (you will learn quickly to coordinate that with your pain med schedule), but do, of course, EVENTUALLY get easier and less painful to do.  The first three weeks, though, it felt like I wasn't making any progress at all!  I had physical therapists come to my house three times a week, and although they were insistent about pushing forward, they weren't as "Nazi-like" as some of the ones at the outpatient rehab places who are more used to dealing with you people with sports injuries. 

I was pretty miserable the first 3 weeks when it was hard to get around, and even going to the bathroom, let alone taking a shower, was an adventure, but eventually I started to see a decrease in pain, stiffness and swelling and started to realize that I was finally having less pain than I had BEFORE the surgery.  That was sort of the turning point.

I am 5.5 months out, and was told to expect pain, swelling, and stiffness to longer for at least 6 months, and that I would not be 100% healed for a full year.  Bending it FULLY is still difficult and hurts a bit,I still use the ice wrap on it most evenings, and some days it gets cranky if I do too much (like today after mowing the yard yesterday, whi*****ludes a hill) and is a little achy for a day or two afterwards, but it never hurts to walk on it (as opposed to every single step being painful -- or even just flexing the knee, without any weight on it at all, causing pain -- before I had it replaced.

My surgeon used the Stryker Triathlon (GetAroundKnee) replacement, which is supposed to wear better than many others.  Since I have already met my out of pocket max for the year, and can still have the surgeon and hospital I used before, and get the same type of knee -- and because I don't trust what is going to happen with healthcare next year -- and the second knee HAS to be done sometime in the next few years, I decided to just get it done now.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

okinawamama53
on 8/25/13 4:43 am

Thank you Lora! This was so helpful! I don't think that I worded my post adequately, but you answered it perfectly. Thank you so very much for your detail and honesty!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 264 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 310 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 329 views