Not sure if this is*the best* light dinner anymore

SkinnyScientist
on 9/5/14 1:11 pm

So this question should probably be directed to the NUT, but it is bugging me now.

Previously, before RNY, I considered raw cucumber/green pepper/broccoli with hummus as a "righteous" snack/light dinner.

It is in the 90s here and frankly, I dont want to eat hot things.  So I went to the above old stand by and had it for dinner.

However, upon further reflection, it seems low on protein.

What do you guys think?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/5/14 1:20 pm

What is your today protein intake for you today? If not enough, then add a serving of cold cuts, maybe 2 cheese stocks, and that should give you 15gr additional proteins. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 9/5/14 1:26 pm - OH

I don't see a problem with eating a meal rather low on protein sometimes, as long as you get enough protein over the course of the day.  If most of your meals are high in protein, one that is lower in protein shouldn't be a problem.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chulbert
on 9/5/14 10:52 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

This.  This, this, this.  Trends matter, not meals.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/5/14 10:29 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

That sort of snack wouldn't work for me. All that stuff grows on the ground. Icky things happen on the ground . . .  

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/5/14 10:33 pm - OH

Depending on the amount of hummus, it probably IS low on protein, but I agree with Kelly that your overall daily intake is what really matters.

I also second Hala's suggestion of cheese and/or deli meat.  Those are some of my "go to" foods in the hot, humid, summers.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

NYMom222
on 9/6/14 11:09 am
RNY on 07/23/14

You could stir in a little unflavored protein powder. From this forum I found out about Genepro. The advantage of this one is one TBSP is 30g of protein. volume wise that is so much less than most of them. So I can add just a tsp and add 10g of protein and the small quantity doesn't effect the consistency and taste as much as other powders. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

poet_kelly
on 9/6/14 1:23 pm - OH

Do we absorb any of that, though?  According to the  manufacturer, it is designed to be absorbed in the upper part of the small intestine, not the lower part, by the upper part has been bypassed in us.  So how would we absorb it?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NYMom222
on 9/6/14 2:11 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

They went to the trouble to have their product evaluated by John Hopkins. I don't know this company but I do respect John Hopkins. My understanding is it absorbs significantly more into your system than regular whey... I take the being absorbed in the upper part of the small intestine just as a reference to it being absorbed quickly... absorbed before it reaches the lower small intestine. There is nothing inherently different between the upper small intestine and the lower small intestine that would prevent it from being absorbed in us.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

chulbert
on 9/7/14 5:03 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I stopped reading when I saw "30 g of protein in a 15 g serving."  They should apply for the Nobel prize because they just broke physics.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 264 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 310 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 329 views