Struggeling to Eat 2 months out

aldade
on 1/8/16 6:37 am

I feel like since I have switched to a diet that is starting to incorporate more "normal foods" after a 6 week soft food diet, I am having a harder time processing them....chicken and eggs are still a no go for me....and I have tried very finly cut steak that I am following the "chew for 22 rule" almost becoming pureed in my mouth....but still it is a struggle.  The "foamies" are happening more frequently.  The first month after surgery I was doing very well and seemed to really have no problems, other then getting tired quickly....then all of a sudden, IT'S NOT GOOD.

I am not sure if it is a mental block in my head about weariness of food or if I really am struggeling with most everyday foods.....can anyone relate??  I do notice that when I sit and eat it gets "stuck" and I have to stand up and "use the restroom" to get it to move.

Surgery was on 11/18/15...so almost 2 months out. I am also down 50lbs currently.

RNY on 12/22/14

At this point , I was still having a protein shake to make sure I got the 60-80 gms of protein in.  My favorite go-to was WLS lasagna - cottage cheese with a spoonful of spag sauce.

Your symptoms - the foamies - indicate that you are eating too much at one time.  If you can only eat 1-2 ounces of more solid food, so be it.  Check that you can still use protein shake to get all your protein in. 

As a general rule, your insides take twice as long as your outsides to heal.  So think back to what you surgery scars looked like at 3-4 weeks, your insides still look like that. There may still be swelling at the outlets. Things will be easier at the 3 month mark.  Stop before the foamies.

Sharon

aldade
on 1/8/16 7:11 am

Thanks for the advice....it is happening after only a couple bites though for the most part, and even more so if I do not get up while in the middle of eating.  I am measuring out my food at only 1/4 cup and struggeling....BUT I have no problem with shakes ect. Per my doc they said it was ok to go back to soft foods for a day or 2 if things are not processing correctly....BUT it is a concern that I have been feeling for a couple of weeks now about not being able to feel "normal" while eating.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/8/16 7:21 am, edited 1/7/16 11:22 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You may not be ready for 1/4 cup, yet.  You may still have swelling that will go down over the next 6 weeks.  I was still eating small portions and taking hours to drink a 12 oz protein shake for 3-4 months. I was pretty normal by 5-6 months out.

Sharon

White Dove
on 1/8/16 7:11 am - Warren, OH

I stayed on protein shakes and soups until month three.  During month three I had a small steak once and salads several times.  By month six I could eat solid foods every day.  Just give yourself time to heal.  No matter what your surgeon's plan says, your body will be ready for food at its own pace.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

obxhatteraslight
on 1/8/16 8:50 am - baldwinsville, NY

I had my surgery in October and was hospitalized for severe dehydration and malabsorption(spelling sorry). It was a tough go for me. I had foamies alot. I am still having a hard time getting some foods in. My guess from reading this board is that everything takes time.  Every day is a new day THANKFULLY!! Wishing you luck I am down about 50 lbs too.

Dcgirl
on 1/8/16 8:57 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Chicken and steak can be tough for sure.  Try egg salad, tuna salad, and soft flaky fish like salmon or other mild white fish.  You've lost a lot of weight so far and I promise life gets back to normal and eating is normal and you will one day wish you were eating 1-2 oz :)  But for now I know it's tough, so good luck and check out the world according to eggface's blog for ideas!

MassHockey
on 1/8/16 3:32 pm

I am exactly three months out and I am also working to add "real" food.  Ive stopped worrying about it too much.  When it feels better, I'll eat more.  Until then, Im getting my protein, getting my water, and losing weight.

cheapskate
on 1/9/16 7:47 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I have a very moody pouch and didn't tolerate any dense protein until month 5. You have to listen to your body and respond accordingly.  I lived on sliders and taco meat... 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 234 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics