Getting OFF the C-pap

averybyrd
on 10/1/13 5:14 am

I had gastric bypass in August - the same week I was put on the C-Pap. Originally, my doctor mentioned retesting me when I lost 50 pounds. Now she says she wants to wait until I'm DONE losing (which could be a year or more easily!). I'm not happy - obviously. 

But before I decide she's WRONG, I guess I should take an informal poll. If you got off your machine due to weight loss, how much do you think you lost before not needing it anymore? I realize there could be other causes and everyone is different, I'm just trying to gage if there's a good cut-off point to really push for another sleep study. 

Thanks!!

dazzle1
on 10/15/13 2:58 am - Canada

I've lost over 100 lbs since my lapband surgery 5 1/2 years ago and I'm still on a cpap machine although I have gone for two follow-up sleep tests and have had the pressure reduced from 11 to 10.  I am very disappointed that I'm not yet off it.

I was 382 lb pre-lap band and now I"m 264 so according to the healthy weight charts I'm considered obese but I feel so much healthier.  It is not realistic for me to get below 200 lbs -- I haven't weighed that since I was in elementary school 44 years ago!  

I've heard from a few bandsters that have been taken off their cpap machines so I wish you the best of luck.  I may be one of those few that will be a lifer!

Needanewbeginning
on 11/18/13 1:11 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I have lost 121lbs and will be having a study done in January. They lowered my pressure twice so I am down to 8 now. No rush for me, as I had a cardiac arrest due to undiagnosed SA.

take your time, I know cpap isn't fun but it can save your life.

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

A. Kondrlik
on 11/27/13 9:09 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

I have lost 116 lbs, and am down to 143 lbs.  my CPAP settiing started out at 16 about 3 years ago.  And I have to say it changed my life, I felt amazingly bette

r after one night 

When I got to 145 I went to my sleep center and was told to try going without if for a couple of weeks and see how I felt. 
Well I slept ok but I started feeling tired during the day again. So resumed using the machine again and felt better.

My Dr. did decrease my pressure to 12 two days ago, the first night I didn't sleep very well, but last night i slept well and feel fine today.

I have another appointment in April and I am going to request to be retested so I know where I really am.

I know there is no more fat up around my neck area so if I still have to wear it so be it.  It is annoying to need it, but I am so happy with my new self that it is a minor thing for me right now.

Just remember, plenty of thin people have sleep apnea, it is just the way your anatomy is put together.

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

heidig71
on 1/22/14 5:12 pm - IN

i lost about 190# originally nd am STILL on cpap. my pressure went from in the 20's to 13.

Most Active