CPAP and hospital stay

karenyt
on 9/2/04 1:07 pm - Renton, WA
My open RNY is scheduled for 09-15-2004 and my surgeon requires me to bring CPAP machine to hospital for use. Does anyone else need to bring their machine? And, does anyone know when we use it? I'm guessing not during surgery - ha ha - or probably not recovery room ?? but overnight? What about naps, etc.? I just don't know and wondered if anyone else thought to either ask their doctor or knows. Thanks. Karen Thompson Open RNY 09-15-2004 WISH Center, WA
Lisa-G
on 9/2/04 1:40 pm - Spartanburg, SC
Hi Karen, I just received my CPAP on Tue and my surgeon wants me to bring it to the hospital with me. He said to have my family hold it in the waiting room and they will someone to get it when they take me to the recovery room. He said it would help to get the CO2 and anesthesia out of my system and that it helps you to breathe until your body is completely awake. I will also use it while sleeping while I am still in the hospital. It should also make our complete receovery period better, a complete turnaroud from what they originally thought. Thanks, Lisa
E D.
on 9/3/04 2:32 pm
I don't have one yet... I just took my test. The reason I took the test is because I read about another member who had hers put on in the recovery room. It made me think, I will be drugged and I don't know if my brain will be able to "wake" me or start my breathing. So I want to be sure I am getting enough oxygen while in ICU and the recovery room. I hope this helps with your question... I think it a safe ideal to use it. Liz
jnetk
on 9/4/04 5:15 am - OldFort, TN
My surgeon would NOT let me wear my CPAP for one week after surgery. He kept me on oxygen (4) which helped. After my one week post-op check up he told me I could go back on my CPAP. I used it for 10 minutes and felt my stomach blowing up. I took it off and put on the oxygen. The next 3 hours were the worst. I had SEVERE gas pains. My CPAP is set at 19 which is really high. I don't know if it is just way too high now since I had surgery or what but I am scared to death to use it again. My surgeon had told me that the air could go down through the new bypass and come back up into the stomach causing pressure on the staples. I'm just not willing to risk it at this point. But keep in mind 19 is a VERY high setting. I was actually supposed to be switched to a BiPAP but didn't have time to get done before surgery. I don't mean to scare you but I would thoroughly discuss this with my doctor before surgery. Jeanette (LapRNY 8/25/04 -16lbs)
Most Active