does sleep apnea cause other problems?

justaboutkrazy
on 5/12/05 3:12 pm - Pensacola, FL
I have had sleep apnea for several years now and cant get used to the cpap. My abdomen and legs/feet are very, very swollen and my pcp says lymphedema, but my pulmonologist seems to think its from my oxygen dropping when I sleep. He thinks if I could tolerate cpap it would get better. I also notice I have chest pains everyday and a deep cough, but since my ekg showed no significant heart problems the docs kinda blow me off when I complain. Could these be caused from the apnea too?
vicki in indy
on 5/13/05 9:26 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Mary, I believe sleep apnea can cause a whole host of problems. Using your CPAP will help you feel so much better. I know it is a pain at first but trying to use it every night and keeping it on longer and longer will help you adjust. I have been using one for eight years now. I don't lay down to close my eyes without putting it on. I take it with me if I am ever going to be sleeping away from home. I have had lap band surgery a bit over 3 months ago. I have lost 25 pounds. And of all the things I have hoped for as a result of losing weight, getting off my BIPAP never has occured to me. I don't mind using it at all, and would feel lost without it. Maybe someday I won't need it, but I am not worried about that. If your mask isn't fitting right or isn't a good kind for you that could be why you aren't tolerating wearing it. Have your home health person fit you for a new or different mask. Keep trying them till you find one you like. I use one that is called SIMPLICITY. It is small and just fits over my nose. It is a mask not the nose cannulas. But it is small. THe headgear is comfortable. Please try to use your CPAP. I am here for you if I can do anything to help you. Even if you want to email me each day and tell me how many hours you used it. Sorta like an accountablity thing. Hugs and Support Vicki in Indy
Chunky Dunker
on 5/17/05 9:06 am - WA
Maybe try a different mask. I prefer the nasal pillows. The made my nostrils sore the first few nights, but then I got used to them and like it a lot better than having the mask on my face. The old mask made me hot.
kathy in horseheads
on 5/25/05 6:49 am - horseheads, NY
Mary, There is a great website with message boards about apnea. It's called cpaptalk.com Of course you need to proceed it with www. I have learned so much from the folks on there. I use the nasal pillows instead of a mask and it has been so much better for me. I also have the heated humidifier on it so that helps with the dry throat. I hope this helps you.
Marta W.
on 6/7/05 9:19 pm - Melrose Park, IL
My doctors feel that sleep apnea and loss of oxygen causes the morning migraines I have upon waking. The only solution I have found so I can make it to work is set my alarm every day for 2:00 AM, take a migraine pill, try to sleep 2 more hours and get up at 4:00 AM for work. I do not have a C Pap machine, it is still being researched. As yet, I do not have the approval for gastric bypass surgery that will hopefully eliminate the sleep apnea.
Most Active