got c-pap machine

claudia G.
on 5/29/05 3:22 am - riverside, CA
I received my c-pap machine last Thursday. I'm having problems using it. I have an urge to yawn with it on. I also can't seem to fall asleep either. The pressure is set at 10, could the pressure be too low? I noticed I wake up with thick mucus in my throat, how can this machine seem to help me? I am scheduled to have lap rny on June 22, 2005.
Angela B.
on 5/30/05 8:10 am - Jones, OK
Hi Claudia - you definitely should try to wear your machine every night before surgery. You've been rattling on empty (oxygen) for awhile. Need to get your body in the best shape possible for surgery. Yawn away, dear. It's a way for your body to open all the air sacs in your lungs. Long, slow, deep inspiration is good for you! It's a drastic change. Persistance pays - you must keep practicing going to bed with the cpap on. You'll sleep... make sure you've done all you can to promote good sleep. Comfortable bedroom/bed. Lights out. Noise off soon... No caffiene at LEAST 6 hrs prior to bedtime. Exercise/walk early in the day. Relaxation exercises can be helpful - envision yourself laying in nice warm (or cool - your choice!) sand and let yourself sink into the beach. Let go of tension in your head, your face, your jaw. Notice how your breath cycles in and out of your body. Feel the nourishing oxygen infusing your lungs. Relax your neck. Your shoulders. Make sure your shoulders aren't up around your ears. Relax, relax, relax. Thick mucus makes me think of dehydration. Do you have a humidifier? Maybe you need more humidity. If not, be sure to humidify your body (drink water) before you go to bed. All the better if you have to get up to pee in the night. It'll allow you to know if you've kept the mask on or gives you another chance to sleep with the mask on. Probably - the key is relaxation. My little scenerio helps me - you get the idea - change it to your own. Get a relaxation tape to listen to as you go to sleep. I'm sure Amazon.com could find something along these lines... I have one that was a gift that I've never heard the end of! (I'm asleep before the end - every time!) Best Wishes for sleeping healthily and for a successful surgery on 6/22! Angela in Ok Lap RNY 5/23/05 288/272/?
JOANNA U.
on 6/5/05 1:57 am
Claudia, The c-pap does take some time to get use to. I have had mine for 4 months now and still sometimes I wake up with it off of me. But I can definitely tell a difference in my energy and I do feel like I am sleeping much better now. Before my c-pap, you could not drag me out of bed before noon on the weekends and I still felt tired. Now I automatically wake up between 7 and 9 am and feel rested. Give it a chance b/c I never thought I would get use to. I even hated it, but my hubby hammered me about it (mainly b/c he could not sleep with all of my snoring without it) every night, and that helped. I decided that if I was going to have this surgery to make me better, than I better do all I can before hand to make me a little healthier. Also, about the thick mucus, it might be from dehydration like the last poster said. I know I am dehydrated and the same thing is happening to me, so I am trying to drink more water to see if that helps. Good luck on your up and coming surgery and congrats to you! Oh, and wear your mask !
Most Active