Cpap adjustment charge

spraguerl
on 6/5/05 1:43 am - Traverse City, MI
HI, Just wondering if anyone was charged to lower the pressure on their cpap machine. My doctor said I could have it lowered so I took it to the home medical equipment co. and they charged me $70.00. I think it took 10 minutes at the most. Does anyone know how to change the pressure themselves? Thanks, Lynn
MISSYP
on 6/5/05 12:58 pm - GRAND RAPIDS, MI
Hi Lynn, I use a CPAP too. My doctor instructed the med company as to what level it should be set at. To my knowledge there is no way I can do it myself. How did the med co. know what level to set at? Did the dr. contact them prior to your bringing it in? I know it is very important that the levels are correct for your needs so I hope they did it correctly. As for the $70 charge for a couple of minutes work - what a rip? Sometimes I wonder how drs. offices, etc. can bill for the amounts they do and still sleep at night. The medical companies charge to you is just another example of how the health care industry in this country is out of control. Five years ago I had a stroke and have had to use a CPAP since then. I am hoping that after my WLS I can get rid of it. Blessings, Pam
CuteDonna
on 6/9/05 11:21 pm - Effort, PA
My sleep Doctor was charging $500.00 to just read a stupid monthly chart that they took off the card that was in my CPAP machine. Every month I had to pull this card and mail it them and then they would mail a chart to the Dr. I dumped that Doctor ASAP. Then my husbands insurance was paying for my CPAP machine. It would have been paid off in one month when suddenly I changed insurance companies. Guess what? They started billing the new insurance company all over again for the machine and I called my BCBS and complained, stating that they got the 9 months of payments and there was only one payment left. My insurance called me back last week telling me they can do that, that's how it's written up so this company already got paid for 9 months and is now charging all over again. Now this company wants the CPAP machine back if I'm not using it anymore. I told the lady that I was under the impress that between me and the insurance company that the machine would be mine after it's paid off and she said every insurance company is different. Some insuranace companies just pay the monthly rental on it and others pay it off. I need to find out which one my insurance company pays for, monthly rental or pays it off in full. Why pay all this money out for them to take the machine back and they'll clean it up and resale it. Donna 338/213 -125
Jack H.
on 6/8/05 2:49 am - Woodbridge, VA
I am 6 weeks postop and have lost 60 lbs and the pressure is not too great when I try to use my mask. Ity either doesn't stay secure or it gets crooked if I move too much. I can't stand sleeping on my back all night, I am stiff and sore when I do. I'm not supposed to go back to the pulmonary Dr for 6 months so I am at a loss as to what to do. When I fall asleep on the couch my wife tells me I barely snore and she hasn't heard me stop breathing like before. Hopefully it means I am getting better but sleeping is sure difficult with the mask now. Thanks Jack
CuteDonna
on 6/9/05 11:13 pm - Effort, PA
After I lost about 40lbs I stopped using my CPAP machine. I could not sleep with it anymore and the mask was falling off so I stopped using it and I sleep like a baby now Donna 338/213 -125
melissagarcia
on 6/8/05 11:38 pm - Des moines, IA
I friend of mind just had surgery and they told her that once she lost 50 pounds she could stop using the Cpap. All surgeons are different but just wanted to let you know what hers said. Good luck.
Most Active