Difference in Bi-PAP and C-PAP

CuteDonna
on 6/10/05 11:19 pm - Effort, PA
Some people ask whats the difference. I found this on a web site some time back and it explains. Bi-PAP stands for Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure. The use of Bi-PAP machines is often called non-invasive face mask ventilation. This is because the trachea is not intubated so there is less trauma to the airway and more importantly there is a lower incidence of nosocomial infections. C-PAP, stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. Continuous means that the pressure delivered to the patient is the same for any given breath. C-PAP can actually increase the work of breathing and be lethal to an ALS patient As the use of Bi-PAP machines has increased, their cost has gone down. There are also more types of masks available and this has improved patient comfort and compliance.
JOANNA U.
on 6/13/05 3:49 am
Thanks for the info Donna!
Nancy C.
on 6/14/05 3:13 am - NW, IN
that seems a bit technical to me. I have been on c-pap for a year and was switched to bi-pap a couple of months ago. The difference between them is that c-pap is continuous pressure that never changes and with bi-pap the pressure drops to allow for exhaling. that is the only difference. I use the same masks I used with the c-pap. Hope this helps. nancy
thtv01
on 6/23/05 8:27 am - Dayton, OH
You mention "ALS Patient". What does ALS stand for. Excuse my ignorance. Thanks tim
Stacy M.
on 6/29/05 2:42 pm - Owatonna, MN
Tim- I didn't know what ALS was either- I searched online and here is what I found. ALS= amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. I hope that is right- most of the sites I found had this same description.
Most Active