Problems with sinuses

glolady
on 6/24/05 5:16 pm - Grayson, KY
I have not been using my mask because I have allot of sinuse drainage. It is not always infection. The cp seems to blow the drainage into the lung area. This scares me. I don't want to keep brohchitis and nothing will clear up my sinus/allergy problem. I really need to be compliant. I've been having allot of trouble. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice? Could this just be a mental thing?
Marielpn
on 7/3/05 9:19 am - MidMO, MO
some people say the cpap dries them out and lessens drainage...some people have the opposite problem. one thing to try is having a heated humidifier added to your machine if you already use one try not using it. Some people like to use humidity in the winter but not in the summer. to get a heated humidifier if you dont already have one is to get a prescription from your dr. also you can talk about using flonase or some other allergy nasal spray with your dr.
JOANNA U.
on 7/4/05 1:43 am
Hi Shelly, you are not alone. When my sinuses/allergies are acting up, nothing helps. I have a humidifier on my machine but it does not seem to help with that. All I can do is hope that now I have had my surgery, everything will slowly get better. I have actually found that my bronchitis is less since using the machine. But I do know it is very hard to breath with the machine and having a stuffy nose. All I can suggest is maybe calling the person who set you up on your machine or your PCP for advice/help. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
Texas Ghost Hunter
on 7/13/05 10:49 am - Benbrook, TX
Hi Shelly, I have horrible sinuses as well. My PCP sent me home one day with a bucket and a hose to do what I call nose enemas with sal****er. It will bring tears to your eyes but since I have been doing that my sinuses are sooooo much better. Kim
glolady
on 7/14/05 1:23 pm - Grayson, KY
I have done nose enemas but I've never heard it called that. I actually had sinus surgery in '95. I have started using the thing again. I can't handle all night; but I go as long as I can. I actually wake up frequently fighting the mask. I guess you just do what you can until you have a better choice. Thanks to all Shelly
SaltyDog
on 8/20/05 9:14 am - Dumfries, VA
I use an attachment that hooks onto my water-pik and that runs warm salt water (saline solution) through my nose. It's called Dr. Grossan's Sinus Irrigator tip. It's the legacy model, they have also got a house model that uses a different one. I can really feel the difference when I use it, and I have a very bad problem with post nasal drip. The link is www.grossan.com I also experimented with various masks till I found the ResMed Activa. It doesn't leak at all for me (and i used to hate waking up with the masks I used to use leaking and making a terrible farting noise!) And the straps are pretty loose, so no marks in the morning.
Dawn M.
on 8/23/05 3:21 pm - Vinton, VA
Hi, I have had the same problem using a cpap. My sinuses are chronically inflamed, lots of post nasal drainage, headaches, low grade infections. All of those gross and painful symptoms of sinusitis. I had surgery in 2000 and I am glad I did. However the cpap is an irritant. When I tried the humidifier with the cpap I woke up with swollen eyes. I do need to use one, but the cure seems worse than the problem. I know the sleep apnea (& other severe sleep disorder as well) have messed up my metabolism. One of the scarey things that happens now is my throat will close off for a second and no air can get through while I am awake. It has been difficult going to the dentist because they push my tongue around and cut off my airway. Strange feeling. I know that my obseity contributes to that situation. Hopefully, sleep apnea will help in my favor to have insurance pay for it. I know this doesn't help to solve your problem, but it is a real one.
bzzymom
on 2/18/08 8:24 am - Atlantic, IA
I have the same problem with my sinuses but I just deal with it. There is no way I am going to stop using my CPAP machine.
Most Active