****Claustraphobic and Needing C-Pap****

Ravenwulf
on 8/7/05 11:10 am - Killeen, TX
RNY on 10/04/05 with
Man oh man am I screwed up. Just did my sleep study last Wed and am defective even where Sleep Apnea is concerned- needed the pressure adjusted from a regular CPap to a BiPap because apparently I woke up (with the mask) and then my incidents changed from not breathing IN to not breathing OUT. To top it all off I am EXTREMELY CLAUSTROPHOBIC!!!! I only made it thru the study by meditating and because my sleep tech swore he would wake me up as soon as he had the tests he needed. They didn't send me home with a machine, though I apparently desperately need it, so I am wondering- am I the only claustraphobe out here? Does anyone know of an alternative to the masks?
Sandie S.
on 8/8/05 6:11 am - Livermore, CA
I too was too claustraphobic for the mask. I tried every alternative they had. Secondly, I just kept opening my mouth and inhaling air, then my whole abdomen and chest felt like I was full of air. Thirdly, I have acid reflux and would almost everynight spit up yuck into the mask. It just didn't work for me. When I was tested it showed that I stopped breathing every 3 minutes. I don't know how one functions with all the disturbance. Plus my husband cannot be sleeping too soundly with me snoring SO loud (though he says it's comforting to him, just to know that I'm still breathing) Finally we made the decision to do the throat surgery. Oh boy, where do I start? That was the hardest recovery of anything I've gone thru to date. I've been thru alot with all of my medicals problems, not to mention 3 child births. My throat was almost completely closed after the surgery. EVERY swallow hurt so bad. Liquids would squirt up my nose (which is really miserable****asionally if I talk or laugh while I'm eating I can get a little piece of food lodged up the back of my nose. Long story short, I only improved by 50% after the surgery, but it was somewhat better. I'm really hoping when I get the WLS that it will help even more My heart goes out to you.
alise007
on 8/8/05 9:46 am - Hickory, NC
you can try the smaller SWIFT style "mask" that just fits under your nose and in your nostrils...but at high pressures isn't as tolerated as the triangle shaped ones. but they are much smaller. it usually takes 2 weeks to get the equipment set up at home. A doctor still has to review your study with the mask etc... then they order a prescription for the Home CPAP set up. A home care company would be contacted and set up a time with you to get your machine. I don't think any place would send you home with the equipment. Sleep Techs can't write Rx! You might want to try going in during the day and trying on various masks before you get your home set up. You can normally get a mask only every 6 months. OR pay out of pocket. They can be $100+ however. Surgery at significant levels of sleep apnea is pretty much lost...it may allow you to tolerate lower levels of CPAP but for most people it isn't a cure. I consider it a ROTO ROOTERING of the throat. Doesn't sound very pleasant does it?!
lpmegill
on 8/25/05 2:03 pm - Middletown, MD
I couldn't tolerate any of the masks; I would pull them off my face in the middle of the night. I ended up getting a detnal prothesis that causes my bottom jaw to jut forward slightly. This helped bring my mild/moderate sleep apnea down to just mild, but did not cure it. It was much more convenient; no machines to deal with, especially if you travel. My biggest problem is remembering where I put the darn thing!
Kath
on 8/29/05 12:57 pm - Monroe, OR
Hi Rachael, I am also claustrophobic and have had to use a C-pap for quite a few years now, I think about 5. As part of getting ready for weight loss surgery, I had to be re-tested and found that I now need bi-pap! I use a headgear called "Breeze" which is pretty simple and I have these little nasal "pillows" instead of a mask. They didn't think I could use the pillows with the higher pressure of the bi-pap, but so far, so good. I would reccomend you at least ask about this. I really can't deal with the masks, myself. Good Luck, Kath
Most Active